Water pump bolt wont torque all the way

-

ESP47

Reaction score
The bottom left bolt on this water pump on my 340 will only torque to about 15lbs but it needs to be at 30. Will it be ok like that or should I pull everything off and do a heli coil? I'd rather not have to do that if you guys think it wont leak at 15lbs. Thanks.

Take the bolt out,, and use a small screwdriver or somesuch,, and probe the depth of the hole,, you may be able to use a longer bolt, or a longer bolt and 2(?) washers,, to get a bite,, but don't bottom out the bolt trying too hard..

PS, I prob wouldn't try for 30 lb/ft on that bolt again anyway,, just snug it..

hope it helps

The bottom 2 bolts thread into the aluminum timing cover. I've stripped them out a few times over the years. That may be why it won't torque down.

You might be able to get by with a slightly longer bolt and catch a few threads that aren't hurt. But it will likely strip eventually anyway. You probably don't want to read this, but to do it right, you'll need to remove the timing cover and helicoil the stripped threads.

One other thing you must be careful with. If you use a bolt that's too long, you will likely hit the timing chain! Measure carefully. (Similar situation exists with a couple of the other bolts and the cylinder wall!)

-
Back