Water pump gasket bulged out?

Heating / Cooling / AC

1. gdizzle

gdizzle Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    5:59 PM
    Please some help. I followed all the instructions from the shop manual and papers from the water pump (Murray #CP7100). Used gasket tack sealant on all exposed surfaces, gasket and engine.
    As I got to 30lbs torque , gasket bulged out at several screw hole locations. Unable to test as radiator is out. Wondering if I need to get a new gasket and try again.

This is what I need to know: On the Murray pump, it comes with a gasket, and it had 2 different colors, one solid , the other was sorta speckled. I didn't think anything of it. The Hi Tack kept it inplace as it was installed.

Now I am thinking, maybe that gasket had a peel off adhesive strip that I was supposed to unpeel? Anyone confirm or deny? It would make sense if I left the adhesive paper on by mistake, it would cause the gasket to slip out as I cranked it down.?? New gasket is $2 FelPro, time to remove and redo.... 1 hour... amount of swearing that will take place....priceless. Getting that damn bypass hose in/off is a bear.

p.s. this is the pump, where is has a gasket, then a metal piece, then the impeller. Then another gasket that goes between the metal plate and the engine. The metal plate and 1st gasket can not be removed.

-signed.... Battle of the bulge

2. nm9stheham

nm9stheham Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    6:59 PM
    Slant 6? If the gasket has been bulged, it has been distorted and there is not much chance of making it 'unbulge'; probably too much sealer on the gaskets acted as a lubricant under pressure. Use only a skim coat. The inner gasket can be replaced on a /6 pump.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.