Water pump gasket bulged out?

-

gdizzle

Reaction score
Please some help. I followed all the instructions from the shop manual and papers from the water pump (Murray #CP7100). Used gasket tack sealant on all exposed surfaces, gasket and engine.
As I got to 30lbs torque , gasket bulged out at several screw hole locations. Unable to test as radiator is out. Wondering if I need to get a new gasket and try again.

This is what I need to know: On the Murray pump, it comes with a gasket, and it had 2 different colors, one solid , the other was sorta speckled. I didn't think anything of it. The Hi Tack kept it inplace as it was installed.

Now I am thinking, maybe that gasket had a peel off adhesive strip that I was supposed to unpeel? Anyone confirm or deny? It would make sense if I left the adhesive paper on by mistake, it would cause the gasket to slip out as I cranked it down.?? New gasket is $2 FelPro, time to remove and redo.... 1 hour... amount of swearing that will take place....priceless. Getting that damn bypass hose in/off is a bear.

p.s. this is the pump, where is has a gasket, then a metal piece, then the impeller. Then another gasket that goes between the metal plate and the engine. The metal plate and 1st gasket can not be removed.

-signed.... Battle of the bulge

Slant 6? If the gasket has been bulged, it has been distorted and there is not much chance of making it 'unbulge'; probably too much sealer on the gaskets acted as a lubricant under pressure. Use only a skim coat. The inner gasket can be replaced on a /6 pump.

-
Back