Water pump help!

-

Robb

Reaction score
So I went to pick up the new pump I ordered from Advance Auto Parts, and I took it out of the box to look it over and it had six blades. I have air and from what I understand most recommend a water pump for an air car regardless if you have air or not. It’s my understanding that the water pump should have eight blades, true or false? Advance showed a picture for a non-air remanufactured pump with 8 blades….

NAPA’s website shows great pictures for water pump with air and 8 blades, so I don’t think I am going crazy. I think I am ordering from NAPA, but it will take longer…

I do beileve the A/C pumps had 8 blades.

Thanks Rumblefish!

Anyone else have any data on the 6 vs 8 blade water pump question? I have searched 10 pages of threads and the parts stores seem to be all over the place on the with air or without air parts displayed on their sites.

Does any of this even matter or am I over thinking it?

The 8 blade should flow more but that doesn't mean it does since actual pitch and size of the blades are a huge factor in pumping water or air. MP sells both.

I think your overthinking it. If it doesn't cool it down, then you have issue with the parts surpplier and the wrong equipment/sub par equipment. I know your trying to aviod that.

I think your overthinking it. If it doesn't cool it down, then you have issue with the parts surpplier and the wrong equipment/sub par equipment. I know your trying to aviod that.

I know I am overthinking it, but I don't want to have to do it twice! Thanks again for the info!

Be aware of the small block A.C. water pumps from NAPA!! I ordered a pump from them and my A.C. compressor wouldn't mount up. After returning it, he wanted to find out what pump I needed. Told him I didn't want their pump, and I wanted a refund. Parts guy said my car was equipped w/the CAP emmisions, and the pump that he had got for me is for a car w/o CAP emmisions. I told him he is full of chit!! Notice the LARGE protrusion to the right of the alternator bracket. That is where my compressor was to mount!! Needless to say, he got a painted pump back without the gasket, and I got my money back!!

DSCN0839.jpg

Good to know! I found a reman 8 blade at a local parts store... I really wanted a new one for some reason, but I guess it doesn't really matter... it looks like a decent USA reaman and lifetime replacement... I just hope that doesn't need to happen too soon.

-
Back