water pump leak

-

74Ddart

Reaction score
I just replaced my water pump on my 66 dart and one bolt has a small weep of coolant at the bolt head. Now my question.After draining, Can I just pull out the bolt and use a permatex gasket sealer to stop the leak? There are no other leaks anywhere around the pump. Can the coolant follow the bolt towards the timing chain area? I'm fairly new at auto repairs.

Thanks

assuming you are talking about one of the long bolts that goes all the way into the water jacket. YES, put some sealant on the threads and put it back in. I'd do that on all of the ones that go into the water jacket.....

I've run across the same problem at times and what 69B-Cuda says is good advice. Even putting sealant on the threads sometimes fails to stop the leak. I've had a couple of chronic leakers that needed more. What I did was to use a tight fitting washer under the bolt head and then add a rubber O-ring under the washer. It was a little trial and error to get the correct size that would fit tight into the water pump bolt hole and tight around the bolt shank but it ended up working great.
Good luck, Mark

I've run across the same problem at times and what 69B-Cuda says is good advice. Even putting sealant on the threads sometimes fails to stop the leak. I've had a couple of chronic leakers that needed more. What I did was to use a tight fitting washer under the bolt head and then add a rubber O-ring under the washer. It was a little trial and error to get the correct size that would fit tight into the water pump bolt hole and tight around the bolt shank but it ended up working great.
Good luck, Mark

Thanks,
Tried the sealant and the washer at the same time. So far you are spot on. No leaks at this time. Great advice!!!

-
Back