Water pump outlet modifications

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
I have a Magnum intake on my LA360 and I've never really liked cutting the bypass hose shorter and kinking it to get it to bend from the water pump to the intake. I've been looking around and see they already make water pumps that have the threaded connections, but they are very expensive.

So Im wondering if anyone has ever cut off the water pump outlets for the bypass and heater hose and tried to drill and tap them to accept threaded fittings?

We actually internally tap the timing cover, and the water pump on the late model hemi we offer. This way the heater hoses are as simple as a 3/8npt to an AN adapter. I don't have an LA pump in front of me to see what size tap you'd need, but i'd think tapping is a more viable option that cutting and welding the barb. Also as simple as pipe plugs if you want to delete heater lines, run one on the dyno, or switch intakes in the future. Just my 2 cents.
That being said, i'm not positive a braided AN hose will do much to help the goofy bypass hose with a mag intake on an LA.

Thanks for your input, I was thinking it still might be to tight of a bend for the bypass hose, but its good to know it can be done.

A 3/8 npt tap fit ours perfect. just happened to get lucky. lol the one "easy" thing the hemi presented for us.lol

Back when i had my magnum headed 408, i just walked into the parts store, bought a couple 90's, and ended up cutting one to fit. Thats probably your easiest option, despite the fact it's partially kinked...and not the prettiest thing.

Attachments

• 20160308_132847.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 211
Yup..i remember these days.lol

Attachments

• fffff.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 215
Most of the heater hose nipples will take a 3/8npt tap on the ID and just plug it with a threaded npt plug.

-
Back