Water Pump Question....

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
....again on my 77 400 build, when looking for a water pump, I am seeing in some descriptions "long pump". I was not aware there was a long and short pump for the big block. What's up with that?

I'm not a big block guy, but I recall when I was in the trade there were different length pump snouts depending on application, I think A/C used a longer one? Also vans and trucks may have used different lengths. Sorry I'm not much help on this.

There's a left and right inlet. The right inlets are a bit longer than the left version. Not sure if there's a right inlet that's shorter.

There's a left and right inlet. The right inlets are a bit longer than the left version. Not sure if there's a right inlet that's shorter.
The left and right inlet is the water pump housing.
The water pump itself bolts into the housing. I have not seen a long or short water pump listing. I see water pumps listed as just water pumps.

@RustyRatRod Where did you see this listing?

....again on my 77 400 build, when looking for a water pump, I am seeing in some descriptions "long pump". I was not aware there was a long and short pump for the big block. What's up with that?
I have a 1970 Challenger. Built 383. I have cracked 2 long neck water pumps with RPMS up to 7600. If you are not going over 5000 and have A/C, the long neck is ok. If you plan on running hard, I recommend the short thick shaft water pump.

I have a 1970 Challenger. Built 383. I have cracked 2 long neck water pumps with RPMS up to 7600. If you are not going over 5000 and have A/C, the long neck is ok. If you plan on running hard, I recommend the short thick shaft water pump.

That's sorta my question. I had no clue there were two different pumps. How do I tell the difference?

As many people have big blocks and no one knows the answer?

Scroll through the listings. There are a lot of them listed as "long".

440 high volume water pump | eBay
Not tryin' to be a smartazz here but in the link you posted, the only 'long' or 'short' pumps are listed for chebbys, with the exception of the 'speedmaster'(pro-comp) brand. They call theirs a 'long' but don't list a 'short', just like on Summit. Between car engines I've had and the '78 RV 440 that I recently yanked, the pumps have all been the same size, a/c or not. Just different pulleys and housings. Maybe they made an oddball long snout for certain applications? I haven't seen everything, for sure. The majority of brands only show one size and don't specify long or short, stick with any of those and you'll be fine.

All big block pumps are the same, the water pump housing can either be right or left.

-
Back