Water Pump Snout Length

-

rklein383

Reaction score
Just bought a Mopar Performance Viscous Fan for my 440 equipped 383-S Barracuda. It doesn't fit, hits the radiator.

Are there different lengths of snouts for water pumps on the big blocks?

I would really like to run this fan as I have been running a fixed fan for years and it is noisy and costs HP.

Thanks,
Rod

I haven't heard of different water pumps for the BB & RB engines. Chevy's have short & long ones, and the Mopar SB engines have shorter cast-iron pumps and later aluminum pumps that are 1" thicker. A big block in a Barracuda (A-body) is tight, so they might have never used a viscous fan. You can get many different radiators though.

I used the same one on my 440 cuda with a 3 core radiator and it just fits. It's so tight that I have to install the radiator then slide the shroud in. I put a piece of cardboard against the radiator so that it doesn't get damaged then I install the clutchfan assembly. There is probally only a 1/4 to 3/8" clearance from the radiator to the clutchfan

I used the same one on my 440 cuda with a 3 core radiator and it just fits. It's so tight that I have to install the radiator then slide the shroud in. I put a piece of cardboard against the radiator so that it doesn't get damaged then I install the clutchfan assembly. There is probally only a 1/4 to 3/8" clearance from the radiator to the clutchfan

I have the original radiator in mine, there is no way the fan will fit. There must be a shorter water pump snout.

-
Back