water pump

-

directconnection340

Reaction score
Im in the process of rebuilding a 340. its been bored 30 over. could someone suggest a good water pump to use. I know there are several out there. This will be a non ac motor

Thanks for the suggestions

Hi-Flo water pumps. I use them on a majority of my builds. 65'

Just an FYI, I thought that I read somewhere that you need to make sure you have the non a/c pulley and non/ a/c water pump. I could be imagining it but the a/c water pump has more vanes and uses a different size pulley. Maybe someone here will correct me.

I have a Flow Kooler on my small block, it's been on three engines over almost 15 years.

CVF has a high volume one that can be had for cheap. I had one on my racecar for about 2 years before putting an electric one on.

i'm using a hi flow milodon pump on my stroker keeps things cool ,no problems so far . was priced decently

Last edited:
Just an FYI, I thought that I read somewhere that you need to make sure you have the non a/c pulley and non/ a/c water pump. I could be imagining it but the a/c water pump has more vanes and uses a different size pulley. Maybe someone here will correct me.
It's actually the other way around. The A/C pumps have few vanes than the non-A/C pump, but, they use a smaller diameter pulley which makes the pump spin faster. That results in about the same water flow as a non A\C pump using a larger diameter pulley. It's fairly rare, but, sometimes you can spin a pump too fast and cause cavitation or foaming of the coolant which can actually cause overheating.

It's actually the other way around. The A/C pumps have few vanes than the non-A/C pump, but, they use a smaller diameter pulley which makes the pump spin faster. That results in about the same water flow as a non A\C pump using a larger diameter pulley. It's fairly rare, but, sometimes you can spin a pump too fast and cause cavitation or foaming of the coolant which can actually cause overheating.
Thanks for the clarification, I knew I was reasonably close.:thumbsup:

-
Back