Water Pump?

-

BubbaCuda

Reaction score
Do I have the wrong water pump? When i tried to fit the clutch fan it hits the radiator. Its a Mopar Performance high flow pump installed on my 360 that measures 6 inches to the the fan mount. My original water pump that came off my 273 is 4 3/4 inches... Can I purchase shorter clutch fan.

Thanks for the help
HKeller

photo-22.jpg

photo.jpg

Looks though you may have to scratch the new pump, and use early style. or use solid or flex fan may give you room. but the clutch style supposed to save you 7-15 HP. I`ve seen several sizes, but both seem same height.

The new pump is deeper, you are changing the radiator also??? I recently did the new pump upgrade on my 64 Dart added a summit alum rad. With my old radiator which was 2" wider than stock, I moved the driver side mounting flange to the front of the rad support, trimmed the pass side opening wider. You can pick up a few inches there where it steps out towards the engine. I ran the MP clutch fan with the old style pump, but was still a tight fit. Also that radiator was a 3 row...
Hope this helps

Bob

I see the problem, *I Think*, the new aluminum pump is thicker at the timing cover area and thus making it longer. The impella snout also is sticking out a tad father.

You can scrap the fan and move onto a electric fan with the shroud, oe or home made or built in, would be a nice help.

On my Duster, I so far do not need a shround on my mild build.
The frist place I put it for extra clearance, though I now think it not needed.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=10508&pp=20&page=5
The radiator pictured let loose at the weld seems and I just simply replaced it with the same one only "Brand spankin new" from AutoZone. The fan was more centered in the reinstall.
Sorry, no picture yet.

The new pump's plumbing for the lower radiator hose is on the right side isn't it? I guess you have took that in consideration. I had a 273 with a late model water pump that worked fine with at clutch fan. The radiator outlet was on the right side.

Thanks for all the help. Has anyone used the hayden 2765 clutch fan . It's meant for Jaguars but will fit on mopars according to several website searches. It's suppose to be 3 inches shorter. I'm going to buy one tomorrow I will let you guys know how it works out.
HKeller

Oh, my e-fan is a be cool unit @ 16 inchs I think it was. It was the highest CFM unit listed in the Summit.

Ya, sorry to say. To run that water pump you'll need to run different pulleys and alternator bracket also. If you have the factory early timing tab and harmonic balancer it will make it harder to read the timing mark also. Also you'll need to change your radiator around on the bottom hose. If I didn't have a factory three core radiator that was stock for the 65 core supports in the 65 and 66 A-bodies I would have made these changes already myself. Anyways good luck.

Ok, I see in the picture you have the right alternator brackets for that water pump, but the 65 273 pulleys aren't going to work right. So if you have the 360 in there did you use the timing cover off of the 360 then? If so then all you need is the correct pulleys and have your local radiator shop move your lower radiator hose on the other side. One things for sure, you'll be updating and be able to buy more aftermarket stuff using that style waterpump, like March Pulley's and there killer brackets. Sperpentine(spelling) set up.

Not trying to hijack the thread but my question is along the same line. What alternator bracket do I need to have so that I can use my original style ('64) alternator with the later style water pump & pulleys? This is on a 1991 360. I have the bracket from the 360 but don't think it'll work with my alternator. I want to keep the stock style alternator so I can have a stock look & use my stock wiring.

Not trying to hijack the thread but my question is along the same line. What alternator bracket do I need to have so that I can use my original style ('64) alternator with the later style water pump & pulleys? This is on a 1991 360. I have the bracket from the 360 but don't think it'll work with my alternator. I want to keep the stock style alternator so I can have a stock look & use my stock wiring.

This might not help but it's 360 with the brackets. The long arm alternator adjusting bracket is not pictured but I have seen them come together in a package.

Now it's March Bands aluminum brackets.

DSC01493.jpg

DSC01689.jpg

That right there is exactly the way I found out the hard way on this. I ordered the brackets and serpentine pulleys for my car and it wouldn't work with my timing tab, harmonic balancer and radiator. That's why I had to send them back and get the v-belt style cause they didn't at the time sell the serpentine set up for older style water pump or killer brackets for the alternator.

I am using the brackets that were on the 360 with my Power master alternator. I will check in the morning to see if the original alternator will work with these brackets..
HKeller

I am using the brackets that were on the 360 with my Power master alternator. I will check in the morning to see if the original alternator will work with these brackets..
HKeller

Thanks! I think I've still got my 273 brackets & I might be able to use spacers or something to make them work with the newer style water pump & timing cover. If it wasn't for this thread I would've not known that any of this was going to be a problem. Always nice to know about this stuff ahead of time so I can plan accordingly.

That right there is exactly the way I found out the hard way on this. I ordered the brackets and serpentine pulleys for my car and it wouldn't work with my timing tab, harmonic balancer and radiator. That's why I had to send them back and get the v-belt style cause they didn't at the time sell the serpentine set up for older style water pump or killer brackets for the alternator.

This might not make any since but I don't have a timing tab. The timing chain cover is off a 273. The harmonic balancer has timing tape on it. I have made a mark on the warter pump housing where the TDC of the motor. Then I made a mark on the balancer where 34* of timing. Then I rev the motor to 2500 RPM and turn the distributor until the marks line up. I havn't touched it since. It works for me but not might work for others.

I see what you are saying. You could have changed out the water pump to the later model BUT the radiator would have been wrong ... correct? In my case the PO just had installed a brand new radiator with the outlet on the right hand side.

This might not make any since but I don't have a timing tab. The timing chain cover is off a 273. The harmonic balancer has timing tape on it. I have made a mark on the warter pump housing where the TDC of the motor. Then I made a mark on the balancer where 34* of timing. Then I rev the motor to 2500 RPM and turn the distributor until the marks line up. I havn't touched it since. It works for me but not might work for others.

I see what you are saying. You could have changed out the water pump to the later model BUT the radiator would have been wrong ... correct? In my case the PO just had installed a brand new radiator with the outlet on the right hand side.

No that makes since, cause I'm using the factory timing tab that bolt to the bottom of the water pump for you be able to time it from the PS of the motor. Again the crank that I used in the 340 is actually a 273 with mallory weight in it and I had used the 273 harmonic balancer also.

You can actually see in these pictures of my set up. It worked, but...........I wished that I would went a different route now. You live and you learn, I guess.

Hind site's always 20/20, but I would of done it all different now, cuase I actually have the timing cover on the motor that would working that newer style water pump. It just hiding by the older style water pump if that makes since.

Pic 13.jpg

Lee 7.jpg

Lee 8.jpg

Man, now that I'm back online and able to talk and see your guy's cars is giving motivation again to get back on my heap.

Hind site's always 20/20, but I would of done it all different now, cuase I actually have the timing cover on the motor that would working that newer style water pump. It just hiding by the older style water pump if that makes since.

I see what you are saying... can't when from losing ... LOL

Good grief .. what a nice looking motor!

The hayden clutch fan fit perfect.. I did have to pull the radiator to tighten the bolts from the clutch fan to the water pump..Its a really tight fit ...
HKeller

clutchfan1.jpg

clutchfan2.jpg

That's awfully tight. :shock:

I'd be concerned if I didn't have solid mounts and the clutch was that close to the radiator...

-
Back