Weak in Reverse

-

trevorcrum

Reaction score
Help me troubleshoot my issue. 74 duster with 727 and TCI 142200 torque converter has very little power in Reverse. All other gears seem to be strong. I'm assuming the torque converter is failing. Before I pull it apart are there any easy checks to confirm ? Or anything else it could be ? Thanks in advance.

If your forward gears are good I would not suspect the TC, I believe it functions exactly the same regardless of the gear you are in.

Can you describe the symption more.

904s have a tendency to feel like they are slipping in reverse the first time you put it into reverse after it has sat overnight. Putting it in neutral for a few seconds then into reverse fixes it.

If your forward gears are good I would not suspect the TC, I believe it functions exactly the same regardless of the gear you are in.

Can you describe the symption more.

904s have a tendency to feel like they are slipping in reverse the first time you put it into reverse after it has sat overnight. Putting it in neutral for a few seconds then into reverse fixes it.

Thanks.....Ok, so when I put the car in reverse, it has very little power / torque. I need to gas it pretty good to get it even rolling. If I'm on a slight downgrade and trying to go up it backwards, I basically am stuck. I can do burnouts for days in 1, but R feels like a speed bump could stop me. Once I do gun it to like 4000, it does roll but doesn't feel very positive. Sort of at a loss.

Does this happen on first startup or always?

When was the trans last rebuilt?

Does this happen on first startup or always?

When was the trans last rebuilt?
Always. I don't know when the last rebuild was. At least 6 years, but it's not driven much. It's not a new problem for me, but one I'd like to resolve.

How is the 2-3 up shift is a positive firm shift or Long and soft?
Direct clutch pack may be about to fail.
Lon

Possible Rear band out of adjustment, or servo leaking? take for a road test and see if you have engine braking in low gear or does it go to idle speed.
Rear band applies in Rev and manual low but roller clutch will over ride band in low gear causing band to be ineffective.

The low band is used in BOTH Low and Reverse.
If the band is sloppy loose, the sprag will still give you normal forward motion, you could even take the band out; but IDK how long the sprag will take launches.
But in reverse, that L/R band HAS to be grabbing to make the car move. By revving it you are just beating up the oil.
So, like already said; drop the pan, inspect the band and the servo system,adjust the band and see what happens.

I had the same problem with a 904 40 some years ago. Sorry I can’t help u though as we swapped out the tranny. So I am curious as to what u find. Kim

-
Back