Wear items on A500, 904, 727, 518

-

MObarracuda

Reaction score
Is it true that the three-fourth spring is a common wear item or rumor?
4F3E6056-0A97-4D42-96BD-AFA811E4AFF5.jpeg

ADC1A0C2-A97C-4C00-BB07-CFE5557ED984.jpeg

E14D5DB1-1EDD-40F4-B0F9-FD69D3B04401.jpeg

E59D3B66-3B6E-464C-A755-8AAE959192E1.jpeg
M

Last edited:
on the A500 subject. What is a complete NOS trans worth? I have a customer with one still on a pallet and has never been used and he keeps trying to get me to buy it

Most stock 3-4 accumulator springs I've seen are smaller gauge wire than that, and so far I've found 2 that were broken. Replacement/upgrade springs are heavier (like in your pic), and if I remember correctly the 618/48re units came with the heavy springs. I always replace them, they're only $10 or so.

The Transgo TFOD-HD2 kit replaces this single spring with a set of 3 springs, but there is other mods done to the housing itself, drilling a gallery then putting a cup plug in place.

on the A500 subject. What is a complete NOS trans worth? I have a customer with one still on a pallet and has never been used and he keeps trying to get me to buy it
Sorry....no clue...purchased mine used from a running 1991 Dakota for $300 with 120,000 miles.

Most stock 3-4 accumulator springs I've seen are smaller gauge wire than that, and so far I've found 2 that were broken. Replacement/upgrade springs are heavier (like in your pic), and if I remember correctly the 618/48re units came with the heavy springs. I always replace them, they're only $10 or so.
This tranny came off of a 1991 V6 Dakota. Based on your comments looks like the tranny may have had work done to it.

In stock form, intended for a v6, it may not have a large count of clutch plates in the OD section, unless it has been modified.

The Transgo TFOD-HD2 kit replaces this single spring with a set of 3 springs, but there is other mods done to the housing itself, drilling a gallery then putting a cup plug in place.
I just ordered the TGIF-HD2 kit and reviewed the instructions yesterday. I didn’t see where this spring location was in the instructions. I will go back and read it again.

Page 6 , far left.

Found it! Thanks...didn’t recognize the accumulator housing disassembled. What do you like better the (3) springs from in the Transgo kit or the single HD replacment single spring?

image.jpg

I just ordered the TGIF-HD2 kit and reviewed the instructions yesterday. I didn’t see where this spring location was in the instructions. I will go back and read it again.
First thing, did you get a "TGIF-HD2" , any way, use the kit as a complete unit. It's meant to work together with all of their modifications, even the 3 spring substitution in the OD accumulator.
100_2137.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I purchased the TGOF-HD2 kit. Makes sense and I will follow your recommendations and the instructions. Looks like the springs are in this package. Thanks for the advise.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This is perfect. I’m going to tackle the kit this weekend. I have found the Transgo video on YouTube and I’ll watch it 2-3 times and I will read the instructions between each viewing. Thank you for your reply.

-
Back