weather proofing?

-

fonzy

Reaction score
I know I need to replace the window sweepers and probably the weather stripping around the doors, trunk and hood, but does anyone have any other advice for a 66 valiant as far as weather proofing to keep this car for a long time and prevent rust?

Well I come from a cold climate where there is salt spread on the roads during the winter.. If you don't plan on eating off the underside of the car (ie show room all original appearance) then having the undercarriage rust proofing coating applied may suit your needs.

When my car was down to bare metal 11 years ago, prior to assembly, I also had the entire inside of the car covered with "rhino" guard liner, similar to truck bedlining material.

And then on the 1st day out of the paint shop, it went straight over for the undercoating.

The doors rust from the inside out. The factory did a crappy paint job inside the doors. Looks like they just swept the sprayer a couple of times pointing up, and not much paint got into the front crevices, where they commonly rust. In my 65 Dart, I removed everything inside the doors, wire-brushed, sand-blasted, sanded, even into the crevices. Then when clean, I sprayed and brushed Rust Destroyer everywhere, then yellow spray paint. Ditto for rear doors, trunk, every inner surface I could reach. On TV, they do a de-rust full dip of the body and sometimes a primer dip, like new car bodies today get.

thanks! I was seriously considering the rhino guard style stuff, and the inner of the door was a concern because of the lack of good window sweeps, which wouldn't keep all the weather out anyway, there is a rust spot on the door that I hope isn't from the inside of it. but we shall cross that bridge when we get to it. which will be soon.

Fonzy, Look for the drip holes/water drain in the bottom of the doors,fenders and quarters.The quarters have plastic plugs that you can remove to get more dirt and junk out of them. Clean them out and after any rust proofing make sure that they don't get blocked up. They clog easy and then retain water/dirt.
Under the hood you will find plastic plugs it the upper cowl, remove them(this is a messy job) blow compressed air, a wand type blowgun works well. You will find leaves and dirt will come out of these holes,thru the cowl vent and the fresh air vents under the dash. Just a few points that I can think of.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-gBAjEga1s"]Remove Rust from Metal and Panels the Easy Way: Video 2 - YouTube[/ame]
anyone ever hear of this or try it? interesting none the less. and thanks for the tip on the drain plugs darter6.

-
Back