Weekend mopar parties

-
Yumm... Breakfast time here now... But I could eat Tacos for Breakfast....

kinda strange how these things work out.

early in the year, I had bought a 72 demon....my prize nirvana of mopars, after searching for years for a clean one. (clean meaning not wrecked) ...anyways, I noticed the first time I ever saw the 72 demon that it had a mismatched 71 driver fender.

So now that I am working on my dad's 71, it actually needed both fenders. (missing) So I figure I would just rob the fender from my car to work the current project and worry about it later. But my dad said "that is not fair for you to part out your car to fix mine" so he says "look around and find a 72 fender and I will buy it and trade you out for the 71 fender off your car".

So I get on FABO here and Crackedback has a real nice 72 driver fender for sale. So I bought it did the whole jazz to get it done, the whole PM or "conversation" now on the new site.
It shipped Greyhound, which now I know that they are very lax in updating tracking info on parcels or large items for freight. ( cant blame them, they are not really in the shipping business but into moving people)

So now the day has arrived and the fender to make the 72 complete as a 72 is here and the 71 will inherit the mismatched fender to become complete as a 71.

But what about the passenger fender. What luck!!!! I get on my local CL, and a bloke about an hour away has a bunch of 440 parts listed. In his ad (lengthy ad) it says he also had some body panels from a parted out 71 dodge dart, Passenger fender, rear deck lid, etc. WHAT!!! PASSENGER FENDER, you have to be kidding me what kind of luck is that. So I show my dad the ad and he is headed that way anyways and he returns later that day with a passenger fender.

This car really wants to come together, like the ad says ...."the way this spirit moves you, you cant afford not to be dodge material" HAHA

CIMG0033.JPG

kinda strange how these things work out.

early in the year, I had bought a 72 demon....my prize nirvana of mopars, after searching for years for a clean one. (clean meaning not wrecked) ...anyways, I noticed the first time I ever saw the 72 demon that it had a mismatched 71 driver fender.

So now that I am working on my dad's 71, it actually needed both fenders. (missing) So I figure I would just rob the fender from my car to work the current project and worry about it later. But my dad said "that is not fair for you to part out your car to fix mine" so he says "look around and find a 72 fender and I will buy it and trade you out for the 71 fender off your car".

So I get on FABO here and Crackedback has a real nice 72 driver fender for sale. So I bought it did the whole jazz to get it done, the whole PM or "conversation" now on the new site.
It shipped Greyhound, which now I know that they are very lax in updating tracking info on parcels or large items for freight. ( cant blame them, they are not really in the shipping business but into moving people)

So now the day has arrived and the fender to make the 72 complete as a 72 is here and the 71 will inherit the mismatched fender to become complete as a 71.

But what about the passenger fender. What luck!!!! I get on my local CL, and a bloke about an hour away has a bunch of 440 parts listed. In his ad (lengthy ad) it says he also had some body panels from a parted out 71 dodge dart, Passenger fender, rear deck lid, etc. WHAT!!! PASSENGER FENDER, you have to be kidding me what kind of luck is that. So I show my dad the ad and he is headed that way anyways and he returns later that day with a passenger fender.

This car really wants to come together, like the ad says ...."the way this spirit moves you, you cant afford not to be dodge material" HAHA

View attachment 1714984005
That was a great story Rani. It was meant to be.

so my weekly update allows me to reflect on how much I didn't do to the car this past week.

I did manage to get the fenders arranged and to the cars they are going to stay with.

my 72 demon with a 71 fender and then united with a 72 fender to be complete as a 72. (not really aligned and the gap was left wide on purpose to avoid the worn door hinges.)

it was cool because the 72 fender had come from a demon because you can see the outline of the emblem that was there. So now I wont have to drill anything for the right emblem. YAY

CIMG0041.JPG

CIMG0044.JPG

CIMG0046.JPG

Last edited:
so then I get the 71 fender home and start to strip it but the stripper wasn't working very good and I learned that aircraft has a short shelf life once opened. I noticed It was like a dark yellow mustard look and it wasn't working out very good, I ran out and it ruined the work day for stripping. (by the time I drive for a new gallon and drive back and get set up, these days the sun is setting way too fast)

When I got a fresh gallon I realized about the chemical shelf life because the new can wasn't mustard colored like the other stuff but was more whitish and it works more effectively and quicker. My guess is the solvents had evaporated more on the older can.

Doesn't help the fender had a touch of bondo and three very thick paint jobs. It appears to have been originally on a red car then it was painted blue (original color of the car) then painted brown with the whole car.

still have to wrestle with it.
also found the extension to be junk because its make shift bolted on because all the studs are broken and there is a chunk of fiberglass missing on the leading edge and its warped along the fender curve. (definitely need a new extension) Also found the connector cut off the marker because they were trying to splice it in because it was the wrong fender for the car but they were intent on making it work. (the stuff people did to cars)

the bondo was real thin and I think with a new extension, the fender will clean up real nice

CIMG0050.JPG

CIMG0052.JPG

CIMG0049.JPG

CIMG0053.JPG

Well I declare, I missed this build thread, looks like a bunch of rides out in the yard where you do your work Rainy :steering:
I see a dandy orange dart in the back ground :thumbsup:
Do you still have this 71 ? Looking forward to a build thread for your early A body, glad you came to the dark side mam :welcome:

I used Ospho and my rust preventer. Only difference is it turns corrosion to iron phosphate instead of zinc like others. I coated my whole care with it, then primed over it with a........chromated primer. Yeah, I know, I know. But I have used that stuff at previous job for years, and did not get over exposed so I'm good.

-
Back