Weiand #8007 intake on a 273 (Several questions)

-

Litz

Reaction score
I know that the bolt holes need to be modified for this intake to bolt onto the 273. (Not my preferred way to do things), but I have a chance to pick up a used one for a 318-360 for 110.00. My engine is stock but soon to be adding headers, and a cam. The engine was completely gone through 19000 mi. ago. Top, and bottom. I also have an 8:75 rear soon to be adding 4:10 gears. I am also looking for carb. suggestions and am looking for a used one if possible. (Tight budget) Also will I have to get 4bbl. kickdown linkage or can use the current setup? The car is a 65 Valiant Signet. 273/904 Thanks in advance, Litz

I know that the bolt holes need to be modified for this intake to bolt onto the 273. (Not my preferred way to do things), but I have a chance to pick up a used one for a 318-360 for 110.00. My engine is stock but soon to be adding headers, and a cam. The engine was completely gone through 19000 mi. ago. Top, and bottom. I also have an 8:75 rear soon to be adding 4:10 gears. I am also looking for carb. suggestions and am looking for a used one if possible. (Tight budget) Also will I have to get 4bbl. kickdown linkage or can use the current setup? The car is a 65 Valiant Signet. 273/904 Thanks in advance, Litz
Not one reply? Kind of disappointing.

If you are going to use 4.10 gears, then you need a cam with 280 seat duration. I prefer solid lifters. In fact, I detest hydraulic lifters.

Don't know the intake but if it's single plane a good 650 double pumper will work. If it's a dual plane, make the carb a 750.

You can get a Pro Form carb from jegs. It will be all billet and fully adjustable. Don't skimp there.
Make sure your headers are 1 3/4 or 1.750 diameter with a 3 inch collector.

Just because I'm a redundant guy, you should spend the few extra bucks and get a CUSTOM ground cam. I've posted many times some of the companies I use and some others.

If you are bound and determined to use an off the shelf cam, I'd make sure the LSA is no wider than 109 and a degree or two less would be better.

If you are going to use 4.10 gears, then you need a cam with 280 seat duration. I prefer solid lifters. In fact, I detest hydraulic lifters.

Don't know the intake but if it's single plane a good 650 double pumper will work. If it's a dual plane, make the carb a 750.

You can get a Pro Form carb from jegs. It will be all billet and fully adjustable. Don't skimp there.
Make sure your headers are 1 3/4 or 1.750 diameter with a 3 inch collector.

Just because I'm a redundant guy, you should spend the few extra bucks and get a CUSTOM ground cam. I've posted many times some of the companies I use and some others.

If you are bound and determined to use an off the shelf cam, I'd make sure the LSA is no wider than 109 and a degree or two less would be better.
Thank you for the reply/info. The intake is a Weiand #8007 Dual plane so I need to be looking for a used 700-750 carb. (on a tight budget). Havent decided on a cam yet but it will for sure be a solid lifter cam. Was going to go with an afb but looks like another choice would be better. Thanks again, Litz

A 750 on a 273????? 600 MAX!!! Otherwise you WILL murder any low end torque you ever had!
And you'll have to put drain plugs on your spark plugs to get rid of all the extra fuel in the cylinders. I have a 600 Edelbrock on mine. It works well. Let me check the manifold and see what carb it would like.

Looks like it would work with a square bore or spread bore carb. Either would work as long as you stay around the 600-650 range. If you have a 2 barrel 273 it has lower compression so camshaft selection is important.

And you'll have to put drain plugs on your spark plugs to get rid of all the extra fuel in the cylinders. I have a 600 Edelbrock on mine. It works well. Let me check the manifold and see what carb it would like.

Come on, really?

The dude has a 4.10 gear for gods sake.

CFM has ZERO to do with fuel.

Damn.

well it better be a vacuum secondary 750 carb then for sure! You run a 750 mechanical secondary on a 273 below 3500-3000 he will be giving up a very noticeable ammout of torque! & will halfta spin to 7500^ to see real gains of the bigger cfm carb. Not to mention the lack of throttle response the larger carb will give. Mine has a 500 on dialed in via wide band and throttle response is yesterday!!!

well it better be a vacuum secondary 750 carb then for sure! You run a 750 mechanical secondary on a 273 below 3500-3000 he will be giving up a very noticeable ammout of torque! & will halfta spin to 7500^ to see real gains of the bigger cfm carb. Not to mention the lack of throttle response the larger carb will give. Mine has a 500 on dialed in via wide band and throttle response is yesterday!!!

With a 4.10 gear?

Definitely not a mechanical secondary carb. Got to remember if its a stock bottom ened 2bbl motor he don't have much of compression raito to play with. 280º duration cam on top of 8-somthing c.r. =low cylinder psi and lazy on bottom until its spun up to at least 3300-3500. The bigger cfm will breath up top, will hurt throttle response even more so with the longer duration cam & low c.r. If he keeps it an automatic hes gonna need a real loose converter to make it leave the line without falling flat on its face. We both know the stock bottom end will not live long at the rpm range it will take to make good power.

Where did he say he had a 280* cam?

Have you ever driven something with 4.10's in it?

When will all this stupid 1960's retarded crap die off?

Of course it's in the combo, and it starts with the great. He is running more gear than probably 75% of the people on this forum, except me, as I run lower than 4.10's.

Put a mechanical secondary 750 on it, tune the idle circuit and go drag some ***.

And no, you won't have to turn it 7500 to make it run.

Ah I do believe YOU recommend the 280º seat duration cam!^^^& Yes my old DRAG CAR dart had 4:10's & wait for it------ a non stock 3800 flash stall converter built for the car. It also had 10.2 c.r with .245/.247 duration @ .050 750 race demon tuned on a .030 over 340. It responded great to the tune of 11.9's & 1.50' 60ft on 28x9 mickey's So I should have had a 950 on that 340 then huh? Please!

Last edited:
Ah I do believe YOU recommend the 280º seat duration cam!^^^& Yes my old DRAG CAR dart had 4:10's & wait for it------ a non stock 3800 flash stall converter built for the car. It also had 10.2 c.r with .245/.247 duration @ .050 750 race demon tuned on a .030 over 340. It responded great to the tune of 11.9's & 1.50' 60ft on 28x9 mickey's So I should have had a 950 on that 340 then huh? Please!

I said a 280* SOLID.

Today's converters are so far ahead of 10-12 years ago, it ain't funny. He could call PTC or several others and get a 3500 converter that drives like a stocker, yet has enough stall to work.

Gotta read a little closer. If the OP wants hydraulic lifters he can take 10*'s off the seat timing.

I don't get how you guys struggle with a 750 carb. If he has what he says he has, he will be fine with a 750, ESPECIALLY if he has a dual plane intake.

Edit: I guess I should have left the timing out of it, because seat timing is hard to judge. For example, a Chrysler 280 solid is 238 @.050 and the cam I run is 281 on the seat, but is 255 @.050. So almost identical seat timing, my my lobe is a butt load faster.

So I would still suggest a custom cam, his DP intake and a 750 double pumper and the OP will kick *** on many strokers.

950 would have been a waste of time. If I was going to do that, I'd have a dominator on it.

He also said (tight budget) my converter was a custom built by precision torque converter. Hands down best 700 bucks I ever spent! Hed have tp have crazzy steep gear to avoid a converter with the 750 (like 4.56or even more ive had 4.56's & worked best with 4.10's! Good luck getting a corse spline 904 converter built at all! 1965 was small pilot corse spline inputshaft.

Am I a little overwhelmed? You bet! Looks like when I get the parts located and bought I won't be able to find a convertor for the early 904! I've done some b/rb b bodys and thought the little Valiant would be a fun project but it's turning into a real pain in the *** already. But I do want to thank all of you guys for your advice/suggestions.

1965 a bodies are a pain in the butt to get stuff rite. There the last year of alot of stuff. Small pilot converter/corse spline. Ball & trunion output shaft are just a few. I have a converter I had ptc build for my old automatic 1965 904 its not crazy (didn't want a real loose one eather!!!) Will stall with my combo 2200-2300 im not using since I swapped to 4-speed id part with. But remember the more cam & carb you put on the already lower compressions motor it will need more stall. Yes 4.10's will help, but with rhem any hwy driving is out! unless yer ok with 55-60 mph tops at 3200-3500 rpm!

Am I a little overwhelmed? You bet! Looks like when I get the parts located and bought I won't be able to find a convertor for the early 904! I've done some b/rb b bodys and thought the little Valiant would be a fun project but it's turning into a real pain in the *** already. But I do want to thank all of you guys for your advice/suggestions.
You are overwhelmed because you want to build a fun street 273 and someone wants you to put a Super stock 273 combo together. Litz, you need to back up and re-group. Do a little homework before you pull the trigger. The combination of parts that you stated in your first post are not "budget" 273 friendly. Geez, How did this thread end up in a argument? You have a stock 273 and you want to add a 4 barrel and intake. Good! Add headers when you can. Another good! Install a 8 3/4 with 4:10's good and not so good. Your choice, The 4:10's are a stretch. You don't need that gear for it to perform well and you don't need to rpm the motor to make it work. I'm done here and I hope other members stop posting and leave the guy alone. Litz was just asking about carb size. PM me if you want help with your 273. tmm

-
Back