weighed my duster. here's the results

-

71dustar

Reaction score
I wanted to set the corner weights of the car before i got it aligned. I'm surprised how light this car is. I had about 1/4 tank of gas in it.

the info in the note box is after i adjusted the torsion bars.

Weight.jpg

Real neat seeing the numbers layed out like that. What drive train and rear diff to get those numbers?

Yeah, its funny to see those numbers after hearing lots of people talk about their aluminum headed small block 904 cars weighing 3500+ pounds.

Good info.

Something to remember... With the driver it's 3182, with a full tank of fuel about 3210. If you add the steel roll bar (going faster than 11.49 1/4 mile) add another 200lbs. If it was my fat *** in it add another 50lbs. Viola...3460...lol. If it had A/C, a big stereo, sound deadener, huge exhaust system with an X or H pipe it get's heavier still. One of the portliest non C body cars I know of is my old '71 Cuda which is all optioned, 440+6(iron intake), Dana, shaker, A/C, suspension mods, no cage, etc.. That without driver is 3900lbs. With the old drive (not me) the race weight was 4240. It adds up fast when you talk street cars. Which is why in many cases you see guys saying they have a 500hp car and it runs like it's not anywhere close. You need around 20-30% more power accross the board for a street car to equal a race car's performance in most cases.

Yeah, its funny to see those numbers after hearing lots of people talk about their aluminum headed small block 904 cars weighing 3500+ pounds.

Good info.

My aluminum headed small block 904 '70 duster weights 3126 and thats with full interior and the added weight of a six-point bar :-D:-D

Just do like the crazy guy across the street, build a half cage and cut out the floors, slap in these alum. rectangle plates that screw on and call it good. :S

Something to remember... One of the portliest non C body cars I know of is my old '71 Cuda which is all optioned, 440+6(iron intake), Dana, shaker, A/C, suspension mods, no cage, etc.. That without driver is 3900lbs. With the old drive (not me) the race weight was 4240

Yeah, I do remember. Those E-bodys were pigs when it came to handling. Sticking the rear bar under the AAR & T/A helped, but when physics took over, they always went out nose first.

Lighter weight and better weight distribution are two of the things that attract me to the A-bodys.:love7:

How did you weigh it?

my boss has some scales from when he worked at ferrari factory. there was a scale for each wheel. we first put car on lift and then made sure each scale was level in a x directions and also parallel and perpindicular. slowly dropped car on scales and recorded info.

also each scale had rollers on it so that when the car was on the scales the suspension would not bind up and would settle naturally.

wow ! its verry impresive ? i wonder how much my car will weight with my new fiber glass bumpers frt/rear , fiberglass fenders , and with the battery in the trunk ! my goal was 3 000 pounds with me in the car and not verry fat at 150 and 5 ft 8 !

the car has sparco milano 2 seats with just the cheetah shifter and the plastic cheetah console cover, a 4pt roll bar, rmd dash, 4 pt harnesses, battery moved to trunk on passenger side, and small amp for interior wise.

engine has alum heads, tti headers, x pipe with hooker aerochambers, mini starter, air gap intake, holley 4160 carb, magnum air filter and valve covers, stock water pump, summit damper, clutch fan, alum radiator, alum trans cooler, 727 trans, no heater box or a/c.

stock suspension up front minus the wilwood disc brakes and light weight master with 26x6.4x15 bfg silvertown tires, slant 6 torsion bars. the rear is a 8 3/4 with 3.91 sure grip, ss leafs, 29x12.5x15 m/t sportsman tires, cragar wheels, stock fuel tank, holley gerotor pump, ss braided lines with an fittings, also 11" drums out back.

Wow.. That is pretty good. Mine weighed about 3250 with me, my backpack full of school books, and about 3/4 tank of gas. It is all iron sb with AC, 904, and a bench seat. But that was perfectly stock and I am sure it weighs a little more now. I'll have to go weigh it soon.

-
Back