Weighed my Duster!

-

19DUSTER73

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I had the opportunity to weigh my 73' drag car the other day. Unfortunately I didn't have time to tweak anything. Only fiberglass on the car is the front bumper. Aluminum headed small block and Strange disc brakes up front with a full width S60 outback. No inner fenders and everything else pretty well gutted to the max. Still has back glass and quarter windows. Pics are without me and with me and my gear.

IMG_20230810_184423234_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230810_185103942_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230810_184218546.jpg

IMG_20230810_185423286.jpg

Add some pictures.
Roll bar or cage? Assuming yes, so mild steel or chromeolly?
What transmission?
What wheels?
Leaf spring rear, ladder bars, or four link?

Add some pictures.
Roll bar or cage? Assuming yes, so mild steel or chromeolly?
What transmission?
What wheels?
Leaf spring rear, ladder bars, or four link?
I'll get some when I get home. Full mild steel cage, 727, Weld racing up front jegs look alikes in the rear. 28x10 Hoosiers, I wanna say 26x7.50 sportsman's up front, caltracs, split monos and sliders out back. Factory stuff up front. Viking D/As front and back. Battery in right rear

Last edited:
It's a little unfinished and really kinda filthy in some pics but she's moving on her own for the first time in about 6 years this summer. The poly seat will soon be replaced with a pair of kirkeys I got a deal on awhile back so that'll change the weight slightly.

IMG_20230814_202858755.jpg

IMG_20230814_202933125.jpg

IMG_20230814_202941617.jpg

IMG_20230814_203020496.jpg

IMG_20230814_203057832.jpg

IMG_20230705_195021387.jpg

Last edited:
Those corner weights are actually pretty good.
I was surprised to see it that close. I wish I could have scaled it before I did the rear suspension work, aluminum heads and strange front discs. It used to sit like a 1 ton truck.

The 727 is pretty heavy compared to a 904 and a good bit of it is rotating weight. I picked up 2.5 tenths going from 727 to 904, I also changed from a steel shaft to aluminum and went low first gear set and bump the flash up about 300 rpm. Average is about a tenth for the tradition change 727 to 904.

Mine with me in it race ready. :)
its probably changed as this was quite awhile ago

IMG_4023.jpeg

The 727 is pretty heavy compared to a 904 and a good bit of it is rotating weight. I picked up 2.5 tenths going from 727 to 904, I also changed from a steel shaft to aluminum and went low first gear set and bump the flash up about 300 rpm. Average is about a tenth for the tradition change 727 to 904.
I considered going with a 904 but for a minute I was sure the next motor after the last small block was gonna be a big block so I went ahead with the 727 with plans to put my trans guts in a bb case. I'm not so sure that would workout as I'm not sure where the engine would have set exactly. I was trying to be a forward thinker anyways lol. It may get a 904 or a glide some day.

When my 1974 duster that I used to own was done the 74 doors (which are heavy) were super gutted by the owner and only weighed 6 pounds more than fiberglass. You could tell they were light when you opened and closed the doors.

Mine is all steel/stock glass. BB low deck. Aluminum B1/BS heads. Steel 6 point cage. SS leaf/snubber. 727 trans to 8 3/4" Mosier axel/gear with spool. Same 10 1/2" wide Hoosier. On Welds. 3060lbs.

There is room for weight reduction improvement.

dash (2).jpg

451.jpg

Track.jpg

Recycler.JPG

ZomboDroid 27062021135616.jpg

When my 1974 duster that I used to own was done the 74 doors (which are heavy) were super gutted by the owner and only weighed 6 pounds more than fiberglass. You could tell they were light when you opened and closed the doors.
Mine are the same way. Crazy light feeling when you open them.

Mine are the same way. Crazy light feeling when you open them.

I have stock steel doors with wind up windows in mine now so I can climb in the window to get it in and out of the trailer. I’m sitting at 2850 on the line now with a small block, powerglide, and Dana 60.

I have stock steel doors with wind up windows in mine now so I can climb in the window to get it in and out of the trailer. I’m sitting at 2850 on the line now with a small block, powerglide, and Dana 60.
That's pretty light! How much fiber glass ya running? 4 link car? I'd love me some roll up windows. Some day the car will have glass fenders, hood, trunk lid and rear bumper. Hoping to have some 1/8 mile times in a couple weeks. I had it out a few weeks ago and ran slow. Had a throttle cable issue we weren't able to resolve at the track. I'm not sure how to link threads but I have one here called "New Bullet" I think it was. Stock stroke 360 with TF heads 585hp/497torque on E85 592hp/486 torque on 116. It should boogie once we sort it out.

That's pretty light! How much fiber glass ya running? 4 link car? I'd love me some roll up windows. Some day the car will have glass fenders, hood, trunk lid and rear bumper. Hoping to have some 1/8 mile times in a couple weeks. I had it out a few weeks ago and ran slow. Had a throttle cable issue we weren't able to resolve at the track. I'm not sure how to link threads but I have one here called "New Bullet" I think it was. Stock stroke 360 with TF heads 585hp/497torque on E85 592hp/486 torque on 116. It should boogie once we sort it out.

Fiberglass hood, trunk, front and rear bumpers. Old 2 x 3 box frame car, strange strut frontend, ladder bar rear. Currently 240 pound driver. Lexan front windshield. This car weighed 2550 pounds with my son driving before I sold the fiberglass doors, added a bigger fuel cell, alternator, RacePak, better cooling system, and a few other goodies.

I bet. I'm guessing you are aiming for the 6.4 time limit? I brought my Duster down from a 10.8 sec pump gas car to 10.30s by adding the B1s and converting to E-85 due to compression increase. I had the fantasy of 9.99. But once again. A little slower than hopes. Lol.

That 9.99 goal was with no boost. Nitrous is cheater gas. Lol. But at current build and cubic inch? The only way I see is weight reduction. 3060lbs to 2760lbs I bet gets her close.

Will be interested to see time posted from your efforts.

Yeah
I bet. I'm guessing you are aiming for the 6.4 time limit? I brought my Duster down from a 10.8 sec pump gas car to 10.30s by adding the B1s and converting to E-85 due to compression increase. I had the fantasy of 9.99. But once again. A little slower than hopes. Lol.

That 9.99 goal was with no boost. Nitrous is cheater gas. Lol. But at current build and cubic inch? The only way I see is weight reduction. 3060lbs to 2760lbs I bet gets her close.

Will be interested to see time posted from your efforts.
Yeah we are looking to run a 6.50 or better. I think we have everything to do it but a little time constrained this year. Right now I'd be happy with a few clean passes in the 6's and some data for winter changes that need made. I'll post up some slips if we can get it out this year.

I had the opportunity to weigh my 73' drag car the other day. Unfortunately I didn't have time to tweak anything. Only fiberglass on the car is the front bumper. Aluminum headed small block and Strange disc brakes up front with a full width S60 outback. No inner fenders and everything else pretty well gutted to the max. Still has back glass and quarter windows. Pics are without me and with me and my gear.

View attachment 1716127820

View attachment 1716127821

View attachment 1716127822

View attachment 1716127823
How much do the front brakes weigh compared to the factory 73 + disc set up ?

Do you have any photos of that ?

-
Back