Weighing my options

-
The 245hp 360 was rated using the same criteria as the 73 240hp 340 (also a low comp engine, but used the same heads). The way horsepower was rated changed in 71 or 72 (from SAE gross to SAE net). Where the 360 has an advantage over the 340 is torque, same place the 383 has over the 360, BUT the 360 has more stroke. I have been advocating the 360 build since the late 70s, when nobody else was. It's just that it came out at a time that engines were being choked with smog stuff.

I already have a 650 double pumper and headers alot of small block parts. My cousin just is a big block guy he loves them he has a 400, 440, & 383 and he said he would part with the 383 if i was interested. But if i stay small block i could get a 4-speed.:thumblef: And there are alot of aftermarket parts for 360's now which is nice.

IIRC, 360 also has a smaller camshaft compared to the 383, which will cause tq and hp to be reduced. I believe the 383 had a cam with ~10-15 more duration, ~10 more at .050 and .020 lift. Add that to the 360 cam and I'd bet the hp/tq comparison would be real equal and TQ would likely swing over to the 360.

The 2bbl models are so close in 1971. 275/375 for 383 and 255/360 for a 360.

Want a BB put it in and spend the money. Pick your parts, pay your money.

If budget is really a driver, run the 360.

The thing about a 360 it is not a typical Dodge motor meaning big bore small storke. if i could i would bore the 360 block out and insert a 318 crank and make a 340 but i don't know about the whole spacer bearing think. I talked to a machine shop and they said it would work fine. it's just my cousin has a 383 and offered to me and it just got me to thinking.

You should build a 273, those suckers can really scream. I bet you get an extra 300 hp when it hits 9k rpm.

I currently have a 1973 Dart with a 360 Auto. But was thinking about good 383 Big Block probality Auto. right back. But would my passing gear linkage still work, if i keep it? Would i need to change torsion bars I guess what i'm asking is if i was to make the switch what would i need or would it be better just to stay with the 360 and build it? I just like the ideal of a Big Block in a small car. I appreciate any help Thanks.

Why would you go through the hassle of putting a 383 in an a body to gain 20 or so cubic inches? I had 2 big block darts. I favor the big block but this seems like a waste of time and money to me.

If you go big block you'd best use a cable kickdown.

You do not need to change the torsion bars. You can even run /6 bars with a big block.

If you want to put a big block in your a body put a BIG BLOCK in it.

-
Back