Weird ignition problem...maybe!?

-

polkat

Reaction score
This is a '73 Dart with stock electronic ignition and a 318 with Edelbrock. This started a few days ago. After the engine warms up I can be sitting at a light or at full speed on the highway, and quite suddenly the engine dies. I check to see if it's getting gas...yep. So I check for spark. The one time I did this I was on the side of the highway in rain, so I'm not sure, but I couldn't see any spark (plug wire end about 1/4" from ground) at all. There is no problem with cranking when this happens. So I let it sit for about 20 minutes and then try it. Starts right up. Five miles later it dies again. Same thing...let it cool and it starts. This doesn't happen until the engine is warm. The choke is fine.

When it dies, there is no flutter like it's run out of gas, but just a very quick death. I have come to two conclusions; 1. Something in the ignition (the control box?) is overheating and dying, then coming back to life when it cools. 2. The Edelbrock carb (1400 series) is leaking internally and flooding the engine. But again, it doesn't flutter to death like a gas problem would, just immediate death. And that wouldn't account for the lack of spark.

So, any ideas?

I would buy a new NAPA (don't get the cheap Autozone, Advance, electronics) control box and switch it out. If it isn't that then you can say you got a extra control box just in case you're on the road and it dies. That immediate death sounds like ignition problem to me.

Oh yeah check the bulk head connections there on the firewall and other connections. Make sure they are clean etc...

And get a spare ballast resistor while you are there. I always carry a spare for occasions like this.

The same condition can be heat related failure of pickup coil in the distributer too. Only way to know for sure is unplug and check the pick up with an ohm meter.
To find the gel coat oozing out the back of the ECU is a good clue but without any evidence at all its a coin toss. Pony up for both components is a good move.

The ballast resistor reads fine as does the pickup coil. Are there any kinds of checks I can do on the control unit? I've been thinking of converting the whole mess to the GM HEI modification. But I want to be sure what this is before I do anything else.

-
Back