Welcome

-

Duster346

Chris Andrews
Reaction score
Welcome to the 904/727 Q&A section. I am your host Chris Andrews. :bounce:

Feel free to bring up any topics regarding your torqueflite whether its for street or all out race use. I will try my best to answer all questions you may have!

Chris

Hi Chris, Thanks for having a transmission tech section.

Got one for you.
Why does the tranny feel hard to turn backwards? Or should I say why would the band shift and bind when turning it backwards?
Dang car is hard to push and this isn't the first one I've seen do this.
Norm

It may be your brakes, the shoes shift if they are out of adjustment and jam against the drums, if you have drums that is :)

Marty said:
It may be your brakes, the shoes shift if they are out of adjustment and jam against the drums, if you have drums that is :)
It has a 4 wheel disk set up, and you can fee it with the drive shaft disconnected.
I also watched the band shift with the pan off.

Hey Mopower71,

Thank you visiting the new forum and posting. Adam set this up for us, and I hope it will be a source of useful information for everyone.

As far as what you are experiencing. This is normal for a torqueflite. When you turn the driveshaft or output shaft in the opposite direction it will feel tighter as the overrunning clutch in the back of the transmission case is holding the low/reverse drum and rear planetary carrier. When you turn it normally (clockwise as viewed from the front, counter clockwise if you are turning the driveshaft by hand) the overrunning clutch unlocks.

As for the band moving around, this is pretty much the norm also with the type of rear band anchoring system that this transmission uses. Make sure your band is adjusted correctly, and let `er rip! :mrgreen:

Chris

Thanks for the quick reply.
Hey at least something is normal. I'm glad to hear this.
I have rebuilt one 727, which lasted only a short while. It shifted hard like it was suppose to, and everything worked great untill one day, when I drove it to work, I could no longer back up.
Tore the pan off to find all kinds of clutch material in it.
So I am a little hesitant on building another.
I'll have to get a quote from you on building one.
It is a small block 727. The one that is in my Demon right now is a stock unit out of my 76' B200 that has only 56,000 miles on it. But the tranny had been rebuilt some time in it's life before I got it.
I just don't like the pictures I've been seeing of the exploding front drums.

Forgot to add I am switching from a 3500 converter to a 4500 custom ATI unit. So it mskes me a little leary about running the old tranny.

Mopower71 said:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Hey at least something is normal. I'm glad to hear this.
I have rebuilt one 727, which lasted only a short while. It shifted hard like it was suppose to, and everything worked great untill one day, when I drove it to work, I could no longer back up.
Tore the pan off to find all kinds of clutch material in it.
So I am a little hesitant on building another.
I'll have to get a quote from you on building one.
It is a small block 727. The one that is in my Demon right now is a stock unit out of my 76' B200 that has only 56,000 miles on it. But the tranny had been rebuilt some time in it's life before I got it.
I just don't like the pictures I've been seeing of the exploding front drums.

Hi Norm,

See my thread about Exploding Torqueflites to possibly clear up any gray area there.

If you decide to build your own feel free to contact me for any information or questions you may have. Don't be afraid to jump right into another rebuild, just because you had one go south on ya. They are pretty easy transmissions to work on. Someone once told me "you can build a torqueflite in the backyard with a pocket screwdriver". :scratch: :bounce:

BTW, I really LIKE your EV2 Demon! :mrgreen:

Chris

yes i got a Q? i have a 904 with the spag thats rivited to the case not presed in to a splinded seroundings. are they strong like a bolt in sprag?? and i have a leak from bell houseing i thout i had a crack so i bilt a hole new one but it leaks to ,not real bad but it drips i have a JW 45-5000 stall set up for trans brake but i dont have one yet so it only stalls about 3500 before the wheels break loose on the line . i cant seem to stop the drip new pump seal ,new pump gasket ,hub seal and the rubber washers on bolts .i dont use eny silacone sealer or gasket seal on it just the trans jell asimbly lube stuff your help app. lon bishop at [email protected]

Im glad im not the only one that has thought my duster is hard to push. All my buddies at the drags when they help push the car at the long staging lines would always tell me that, If i got the car to push easier that i would go faster---but the car has always been hard to push. I would guess that when its running that the line PSI would make it role easier---right?(i've never tried to push the car when its in nutrl. ideling) Also same as above, when the drive shaft is removed it easy, my Dog could push it.

Chris-

I understand this post is set up generally for Automatics- I do have a trans question for a manual 4 speed. I have a basket case 72 Demon that I need information on. I need the transmission shifter-to-tailshaft mount plate for a 4 speed console shift car. I have the shifter/linkage but need this plate.

Can you tell me if anyone may have one, know where I can get one, part number, or a template to have one fabricated?

Again, it is a 72 Demon 340 4 speed console inland shifter (not Hurst) with an A833 trans-
Thanks!

Dana - HellerHighwater
[email protected]

Chris. We have a 1991 360 out of a 3/4 ton truck. What trans will bolt up with out any hassel 904 or 727. & what years. Going to put this set up in a 67 DART. Thank's SMOKEY.

Chris I have a supposed rebuilt 904 just bought a new cable for it how do you adjust it went through 3 used 904s they get to where they don't shift in to second gear then they go out thank you very much Kenny

How much torque can a stock input shaft take in a 727 tranny? Im making 540 fpt for real not some wanna be numbers, also if i burn out in second gear will this help in this whole sprag debate ?? Thanks for your help ps where you guys located your shop that is.

I have a 727 with a turbo action shift kit behind whats left of a 440 before the engine blew up with the car on jack stands tranny in netural the rear tires would spin at about 5 mph . what is a matter with it.

Thanks Clint

Is there any company that makes an up-grade quality planetaries for my 902 trany. I have to rebuild it & would like to do better than factory grade if possible?

Thanks'

Is there anybody that sells "Beehive valve springs" for a 225 slant six, street machine? They are an awsome design, but seem to be made just for muscle mchns.

Hey Chris ,whats the skinny on using john deere hydraulic fluid in 727s? seems i,ve heard one of them is almost like b&m fluid and snaps the shifts and after a hundred passes not much wear. Any ideas on this.Also if you know which hydraulic blend it is. Would this be good in a hipo street car.

-
Back