Welded small ball joint upper control arm (UCA)

-

MObarracuda

Reaction score
Hey guys....my new Moog K704 small ball joint upper control arms will not achieve torque. The spin between 80-100 foot pounds. I read about welding the small ball joint to the UCA. By design the assembly will bolted to the spindle and will not come apart. Is the purpose of the weld to stop the ball joint from spinning backwards or being popped out from a sharp upward force from a bump or pothole?

Take a look at the arms I just refurbished and welded in three places on each ball joint. Let me know if they look good to go for paint and returning them to service once I install the Moog K7103 “increased caster” bushings.

3D41AAAD-7DF0-4877-915F-E4AC31DD240E.jpeg
FB84B583-41F0-46E2-BE4B-BA380B0D373B.jpeg
828215DF-469F-42C7-8BEC-370DB3EEA652.jpeg

Last edited:
I also reinforced the bushing mounts with sleeves. I have had them start to hog out the mounting hole and get sloppy.

The offset bushing part number K-7103 is a great trick but be aware that the thin rubber in the offset probably results in reduced life span.

Last edited:
is that a crack in the stamped, threaded boss for the ball joint (middle pic)?
I see what you are looking at...it looks like a crack but it is a burr of metal that came out from under the ball joint when it bottomed out.

-
Back