Welder advice - where to start

-
That Miller is probably around 10 years old, and it's a pretty good machine. Parts are still available, but with a little care they can last a lifetime. 600 bucks is a fair price for a machine like that in excellent condition, especially if he throws in the cart and bottle.

That Miller is probably around 10 years old, and it's a pretty good machine. Parts are still available, but with a little care they can last a lifetime. 600 bucks is a fair price for a machine like that in excellent condition, especially if he throws in the cart and bottle.
Thanks for the info!
Yes I thought it was a good deal so I bought it. Checked the feed at various speeds then ran a couple quick test beads - worked great! Came with cart, full bottle, 10 inch spool of .030 loaded in it, replacement nozzle, a 4 inch roll for stainless, and three boxes of rods.

Thanks for all the great advice weighing in all around.

I'm leaning toward this Harbor Freight multi-process welder. This will give me the potential to get into easier MIG stuff right away but try out TIG - also there's a bunch of digital controls that allow presets which I'd think would help make it easy to set it up for a given application. Granted, it's a cheap Harbor freight brand, but I don't expect to do high-volume work with it. The reviews seem OK.

OmniPro™ 220 Multiprocess Welder with 120/240 Volt Input

I just cracked open the hobart here. I got it about a month ago, but haven’t had a day off until yesterday. Acme tools usually has sales and I got 150$ off 750$ or more purchase. I couldn’t be happier with it. My Lincoln 140 just didn’t have the balls. I use it now mostly if it has to leave the shop. The Lincoln square wave pro 175 I got from my Aunt’s fathers wife when he passed. One of his friends told her it was worth $50. So that’s what she sold it to me for. Helium, argon, filler rod, tig and stick leads, two foot pedals and a hood. I ran over there before she changed her mind. Like I said, I only opened the Hobart yesterday, and so far I really like it. I ripped some spot welds and burned up some wire on laps and butts. Very pleased. Only used the 220V so far. And on everything, ditch the stock ground clamp and buy a real one
723AC8C9-2C9B-4D78-9650-D1D432A2A1B2.png
94394D1F-BFAF-4873-94B5-4D92A445BE2B.jpeg

That miller is a deal.
I should have bought a miller when i replaced my welder.
Instead i bought an esab.
It is multi-process,lift arc tig that i have yet to try.

My take on welder size? Mig not big enough? Switch to arc/stick.
We all should know how to arc weld anyway.

upload_2018-8-24_10-40-17.png
This is what i purchased and it does everything i ask it to do

-
Back