Welder: How is a Lincoln Weld Pak 100 HD?

-

archlab

Reaction score
I found a used Lincoln Weld Pak 100HD locally for $320. Would this be good for Sheet Metal, Frame Rails, etc? As you can probably tell, I'm a tad bit better than a Novice & don't weld a lot, but mainly want to do some floor pans.

See Here: http://www.ebay.com/bhp/lincoln-weld-pak

IMO the 100 is a bit small for being a good overall welder. The 140 would be a better choice and is still a 110 v unit.

I'm not sure that's all that great a buy, pricewise, unless it has the bottle, regulator, etc.

They are OK if that is what you can use. I've got one of the little Lincolns, and finally upgraded to a 230v 180 series. I kept the little 110, and use it occasionally for light work.

A quality product. Be for-warned that its a 110v welder. That means a lot of people will want to borrow it. I would make sure it works and see if he turned in the warranty paperwork. You may be able to file as if you bought it new.
Make sure you get the regulator and the tank of gas. Without the tank and regulation this unit can get very costly very fast.

You'll ultimately be happier with a 140 or 160 amp unit that has a gas regulator. Go talk to your local welding supply house. You might be surprised what sort of package deal they can make you. They'll beat the local home center's price and be much more helpful in the future. Heck they may even have a reconditioned or trade in unit they'll make a deal on.

For the record, I've never wished my 180 amp Hobart was smaller.

Thanks everybody! I'm gonna look into the 140 - 160's. Any suggestions on what to pay for those - New & Used.

I seldom buy from Amazon, but they're a good reality check price wise. I'm not above printing the page and asking a dealer to meet or beat their price. Works.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-Electric-Wire-Feed-Welder-K2514-1/dp/B002N4FONE/ref=sr_1_54?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1346382156&sr=1-54&keywords=mig+welder"]Amazon.com: Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 140 HD Wire-Feed Welder K2514-1: Automotive[/ame]

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500500-Handler-115-Volt-Single-Phase/dp/B0002PS7SA/ref=pd_cp_hi_1"]Hobart 500500 Handler 140 115-Volt 25-to-140 Amp Gas/Metal/Arc Single-Phase Wire Welding Package - Amazon.com[/ame]

I really recommend that you make sure that whatever welder you get has continuosly adjustable wire speed and arc volts and not just click settings. It is nice to have infinite adjustment, especially when welding light gauge material.
A friend got a Lincoln from Home Depot that only had a click setting and traded it off for a 180+ in a couple of months. I tried using the first one and helping him weld with it and discovered it is very difficult if you can't make a fine adjustment for sheet metal.

I borrowed my buddies Hobart and it was a piece of chit. If you can go with a 220 you will be way more satisfied.

I've used the lincoln weld pak 100 on many projects.It welds better with lincoln brand wire or hobart.Don't waste your money on h. freight stuff,it's junk.

I seldom buy from Amazon, but they're a good reality check price wise. I'm not above printing the page and asking a dealer to meet or beat their price. Works.

Amazon.com: Lincoln Electric Weld Pak 140 HD Wire-Feed Welder K2514-1: Automotive

Hobart 500500 Handler 140 115-Volt 25-to-140 Amp Gas/Metal/Arc Single-Phase Wire Welding Package - Amazon.com

I got the Hobart and I love it. I've only been practicing and doing little stuff with it, but it makes my lack of skill look good.

With any welder you get, you're gonna spend more than just the purchase price. You're gonna want a good auto-darkening hood, some good gloves, maybe a cart, welding pliers, some different size wire........

I just bought a brand new Hobart auto arc 130 for $270 out the door granted it didnt come with the valve. It is a great little welder IMO.

-
Back