Welding question

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
I have a miller 135 welder i bought so i could takle some of the mods i want to do on my car. My mods will be in the enginebay and dash in the car. Ill be working with thin metal. tomarrow im going to buy my gas bottle/tank. What mix of gas should i get? Any other welding tips would be helpful, this is my first attempt at it. thanks

Get a 75/25 mix, sometimes called C25

I would use .023-.025 wire. This wire requires less heat to weld. Any heat in excess of whats necessary for good fusion, is VERY BAD!

Co2/Argon mix as they all said and .023 wire, check the size of your tip as well, it should be the same as the wire size, they're dirt cheap.:mrgreen:

Yeah Mopar Muscle had a tech article on welding panels... very good stuff. Tack, then move to another side and repeat, letting the panels cool before putting another tack into it. Use the thinnest wire you can too.

I like overhead welding under my car in the hot driveway in late July\early August! That's the best.:angry4::angry4::angry4:

Two more things:

1) Get some scrap sheet metal, old fender, whatever and do a test piece first, you'll be glad you did.

2) Figuring out what to set your welder at takes a bit of practice, too hot it'll blow holes through it, not hot enough won't penetrate, it should sound like sizzling (bacon frying) not popping like popcorn.

72dustyer - I hear ya on that, I did a fair bit of welding this summer in the sun, not under the car luckily but sitting on the ground doing rockers in my shorts, did I mention welding in shorts is a bad plan :laughing:

If your fast enough you can dimple a few of the tacks . Saves some grinding and some of the weld.
Correct attire would be denim bell bottoms. Ragged where they meet the floor. And a long sleeve polyester shirt. Applys to 67 through 77 models only ?LOL

Thanks guys, i got my tank today, c25, 75% argon and 25% co2. Still need to get a few more things, then i can practice.

I did some practice on my old work van door and got heavy warping like that. I learned some important stuff though!

-
Back