Welding question ?

-

yeah

The gang’s all here
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question haha . So I've welded on a ton of cars before mostly modern ones . Always remove the ecu before welding . I've welded on my dart and didint remove anything . But now thinking about it ,should the mopar orange box be removed before welding on a old mopar ? Doing some patch panel repair today on a 1978 dodge maxivan and just curious ?

Thanks guys !
Peter

Probably a stupid question haha . So I've welded on a ton of cars before mostly modern ones . Always remove the ecu before welding . I've welded on my dart and didint remove anything . But now thinking about it ,should the mopar orange box be removed before welding on a old mopar ? Doing some patch panel repair today on a 1978 dodge maxivan and just curious ?

Thanks guys !
Peter

Generally on our cars disconnecting the battery should be just fine, but unplugging the ECU would be an extra safety measure.

I agree with trailbeast and keep the ground close to where you are welding. For instance I welded sub-frame connectors into my Valiant and the ground was connected to the sub-frame connectors. I did not disconnect the ECU only the battery.

It's funny , I welded a cage , j bars , subframe connectors into my car and did not pull anything off . This was a likevtwo years ago . I just realized it today when I'm about to do this van Haha . But thanks for the help guys !!!!!!!!

-
Back