Welding woes...frustrating!!

-
Yes, especially with no other electrical equipment running on that circuit.

Dedicated 20 Amp Circuit. 12 gauge wire running to your welder to carry the load.

You can quick test your current wiring by feeling your welder plug where it plugs into the cord after welding for 5 minutes. The plug should not be warm to the touch.

Now go back to your breaker box and feel the breaker that is for the circuit that your welder is on, that should not be warm.

Any breakers, wiring, plugs and outlets that are getting warm, tells you that the breaker and wiring to your welder are not heavy enough to carry the proper load. Overloading the circuit.

Betting dollars to doughnuts you have a 15 amp breaker and 14 gauge wire rated for 15 amps. You probably have a few lights and a furnace fan running on that circuit as well.

Need good clean power for that welder so the connections run cool, then you know you got it right.

Your Power source at the breaker box???

60 amp service ?? Doable
100 amp service ?? BETTER
200 amp service ?? BEST !!

60 amp service: you may have to shut down some other items while you are running the welder.
I'm not sure what my service is to be honest. The outlet I'm using is the outside outlet on the side of my trailer it's a gfi outlet I know it has some other stuff on it but I'm not 100 sure what. I have had the welder kick the breaker before but not everytime. My air compressor will also kick that same breaker over extended use.

Definitely cant have both compressor and welder RUNNING on same breaker.
Flip breaker you are using off and figure out what it feeds.
I dont blame you for "run what ya brung" BUT ya gotta feed the power to it properly.

I'm not sure what my service is to be honest. The outlet I'm using is the outside outlet on the side of my trailer it's a gfi outlet I know it has some other stuff on it but I'm not 100 sure what. I have had the welder kick the breaker before but not everytime. My air compressor will also kick that same breaker over extended use.

Yes if it is kicking that GFI it is heating up.

GFI outlet is not a good recreptical for a welder, they are made to quick trip if you step into a puddle of water if you have a shorted out electric drill in your hand.

Good electrical needs to be grounded proplerly. See if you can find an electrical Buddy in your area to look it over and set up that dedicated 20 amp circuit.

Your 110v air compressor will work better off that new circuit too. 2 for one, Win Win !

GFI is probably only the receps near water- kitchen and/or bathroom.

Also probably nothing plugged in.

If mom or sis plugs in a blow dryer or curling iron while you're welding.....POP.

GFI is probably only the receps near water- kitchen and/or bathroom.

Also probably nothing plugged in.

If mom or sis plugs in a blow dryer or curling iron while you're welding.....POP.
Yea I agree with that lol my outside outlet the one on the side of my house is a gfi as well. Tbh it may be on the same circuit as the bathroom

Definitely cant have both compressor and welder RUNNING on same breaker.
Flip breaker you are using off and figure out what it feeds.
I dont blame you for "run what ya brung" BUT ya gotta feed the power to it properly.
No no they are not running at the same time. Lol I just is the same outside outlet for both at different times haha

Maybe you could take your welder over to a friends house that has an adequate power source to verify the welder / wire is working correctly?

Maybe you could take your welder over to a friends house that has an adequate power source to verify the welder / wire is working correctly?
That's a great idea I may do that. I do know that I was practicing the day before I made this weld without the extension cord and my practice welds where 100 times better than the welds I posted in this thread I believe the extension cord is 90 percent of my problem. I am gonna order a short 10 gauge one and see how it works.

Go make your own, I did. Never mind Amazon for this stuff. Go to local elec supplier and ask them.
I looked into that and its extremely expensive to make one a 8awg cord with no plug is like 1.88 a foot. That's 94 bucks with the ends I can buy a cord cheaper than that. I have done some research on it a guy at work recommended the same thing. Unless I can find the cord cheaper somewhere

Well seems like you are setting yourself up for failure, sorry. You plan on running a 50' cord? I can't weld worth ****, but when I do and if it's for practice it's not 50' away.
Again sorry but...
I looked into that and its extremely expensive to make one a 8awg cord with no plug is like 1.88 a foot. That's 94 bucks with the ends I can buy a cord cheaper than that. I have done some research on it a guy at work recommended the same thing. Unless I can find the cord cheaper somewhere

Well seems like you are setting yourself up for failure, sorry. You plan on running a 50' cord? I can't weld worth ****, but when I do and if it's for practice it's not 50' away.
Again sorry but...
What length cord would you recommend for me to get to my car that is 50 feet away from my house? I read the instructions that came with my welder and for 30-50 feet it recommended a 8 gauge cord. That cord is 5 there for bigger more amps to travel thru correct?

I have a dedicated 20amp just for my Lincoln 140. No GFI! If I need more length I use a 10awg 20’ cord. If that does work move closer!

I have skimmed through this thread and offer the following;

I started off with pretty much the same machine you have and I too ran flux core wire for awhile. Also like you, I had a wide variety of issues of poor performance with it; sometimes it would weld decent and then not so much. First thing I did was go to gas and got rid of the flux core, if you are doing car (especially body panel work) you will be way ahead in several areas, first is that you will get better penetration, plus the flux if not properly cleaned off will come back and haunt you when you paint it. Going to gas was a huge improvement, however it still was spotty overall. I was down at my local welding supply place getting something and talking to the guy who worked there, he told me that my gas regulator was probably a POS and that I should get a new one, so I did and it made a HUGE improvement to my welds.

The power thing is real but IMO it is as much the machine as it is the cord, they do not like any drop in power/amperage unlike a Miller or Lincoln which can take the fluctuation a bit better. I ultimately bought a Miller 140 Auto set and then later a 212 Auto set as well as a Diversion 180 TIG (I do a lot of welding). I realize your budget is tight (most of us have been there) but if you are going to do a fair amount of welding, you really need decent equipment. That HF unit is good for someone who welds a few small things a few times a year, but not so much for any real use, they don't have the duty cycle for it.

As to wire, I run .023 in my 110 machine and .030 in my 220 machine. I have found there are very few things I cannot do with the .023 and it is very handy when working on cars, especially body panels. I use the big machine for things that need a lot of penetration.

One thing I can share about technique is tip distance; you need the right distance from the material you are welding or you get very bad results. On smaller wire you need to be closer but there is a limit as to "too close" and "too far" for all of them, you have to find what works for your machine and the wire you are using.

Pushing v Pulling: you can do either type however pulling gives you better penetration whereas pushing gives you a flatter weld (generally)

Wire speed - you need to spend time to determine which speed works best for the type of welding you are doing, the size of wire you are running and the thickness of the material you are welding. Do not believe anything written on the machine or in the book it came with, they are merely guidelines. You must play with the speed for the specific job you are trying to do. It is not necessarily a fine line but there are limits to too fast and too slow.

Differences in practice v actual job - I suspect you are practicing on a bench or something wherein the practice material is laying on something, this will act as a heat sink, thus your welding will be different when you work on the actual job which does not have a heat sink.

Grounds - you have to make sure that you are connected to a solid, clean, good ground and that the cable connected to your machine is connected correctly (on both ends). This was one problem I had early on, the machine would weld good, then bad, etc. and I discovered that the ground cable had loose connections.

Clean material - MIG can weld through quite a bit of crap, however you will find the cleaner the material is the better the weld is. This is ESPECIALLY true if you are welding anything that has ever been galvanized or powder coated. I use flap wheels to clean all my stuff before welding unless it is just a peice O crap and I don't care about it.

Lastly - check all of the connections on your machine, might require taking the cover off but you need to be sure.

I don't know if any of this is helpful but I hope at least something is.

Fluxed my fire wood rack 12’ long with angle and the 20’ 10AWG cord got pretty warm as built off the side of the garage. With gas and no extension cord + re-config for work inside the garage with .023 wire for light metal it is sweet. I had never migged before but read the basics and learned quickly. Gas is a plus for beginners! IMO it was just so much Easier to me.

Last edited:
I've been playing alot with my harbor freight 125 flux core welder and I must urge you, before you go drop money on a better welder try using better wire first, its night and day. I got mine from lowes, I believe its Lincoln brand. Use .030" for heavy jobs like you're doing, itll run hotter than .035" wire. Also get rid of that stupid cone on the end of the gun, its unnecessary for flux core and all it does is block your visibility and increase your stick out which kills your heat.

My welds improved dramatically just with those two changes. Also, I'm told that a better ground clamp is beneficial.

Will this cord work it's a 5-20 20 amp 125 volt will it work on with 110 volt? I know I will have to get a 20 amp outlet with the t on the white side but thsts ok.
Conntek 20520-050 NEMA 5-20 Outdoor Extension Cord 20 Amps 125 Volts, 50 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC108MC/?tag=joeychgo-20

While this extension cord is rated @ 20A @50 feet, it is borderline when welding at the maximum heat setting. I'd prefer a #10 gauge cord. You could try it, and if you didn't like it, buy an adapter [20A to 15A] for the plug end and use it for an ordinary extension cord.

The cord plugs into a 20A 120V outlet only. This type of outlet MUST have #12-2 with ground all the way from the main panel to the outlet. ---- Be safe

FB marketplace is your friend. You can rob the bank on some SOW cord cheap and quite possibly with ends.

JW

Will this cord work it's a 5-20 20 amp 125 volt will it work on with 110 volt? I know I will have to get a 20 amp outlet with the t on the white side but thsts ok.
Conntek 20520-050 NEMA 5-20 Outdoor Extension Cord 20 Amps 125 Volts, 50 Feet https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KC108MC/?tag=joeychgo-20

No that is still a 12 gauge cord. Electricity doesn’t care what plug they put on the end. You will still get too much voltage drop from the 12 gauge wire

I do know that I was practicing the day before I made this weld without the extension cord and my practice welds where 100 times better.....

IMO, I wouldn't buy anything until I knew the welder / wire is not the issue. At the very least verify that "test" is repeatable.

$60 on Amazon. We send out the 100 ft version of this when we rent out the 110 welders at work. Never a voltage drop issue.

3A517583-8043-44EA-B56B-D7ABBE73B1E2.png

Just a update. It is most definitely my extension cord giving me issues. I welded up a homemade valve spring compressor today with it plugged straight into the outlet and it word great I actually made some pretty decent welds too. The welder done it's part I just gotta learn to do mine lol.

20200305_172404.jpg

20200305_172408.jpg

20200305_183636.jpg

20200305_183643.jpg

20200305_182410.jpg

20200305_182418.jpg

20200305_182921.jpg

20200305_172400.jpg

20200305_180920.jpg

20200305_172421.jpg

-
Back