Well, I drug home another one

-

TT5.9mag

Two atmospheres are better than one
Reaction score
I didn’t really need another Dart, I have two and this is the third. I really wasn’t even looking for another Dart. I’ve actually been looking for an early D series shortbed truck lately. But I saw an add, noticed the seller was a friend of a friend, and made a few calls. That was Tuesday, I went to look at it yesterday and today I drug it home. Here is my new to me, original paint, 70 dart.
C80A9D19-1FAA-4AC3-9CA4-D17204EF247B.jpeg

5F194CCA-8829-4389-BCAA-77E62AB0A2E0.jpeg

F16E719A-00DC-48C1-BE93-5B3A2B45AD23.jpeg

A0846509-D233-4ED8-830C-406EE7570286.jpeg

635ED037-0508-4E9E-A85B-5DDF915DC7B7.jpeg

Very low optioned car, 318/904, 7-1/4
Manual Kelsey Hayes disks, power steering, white on blue. I don’t really have a plan for it yet but I don’t own anything that isn’t turbocharged so we all know how that will end up. Time will tell. Gotta thank @Turbo440Dart Chris and Troy for coming along for the ride and the seller Mike for the friend deal. Whatever I do with it I guarantee it’ll be posted here. Stay tuned.

I'm not going to ask what you paid. It's none of my business. But your purchase kind of negates the comments we always hear on this forum about how there aren't any decent project cars left. I can think of one guy who is always complaining about how he can't find anything. Nice car. Silver with a red interior???

I'm not going to ask what you paid. It's none of my business. But your purchase kind of negates the comments we always hear on this forum about how there aren't any decent project cars left. I can think of one guy who is always complaining about how he can't find anything. Nice car. Silver with a red interior???
Good cars are still out there for sure. This car has a 2” rust hole in the trunk spare tire well, and a little showing in the drivers footwell that hasn’t broke through. That’s it, California car it’s whole life. I told myself a while back I won’t buy anything thats not either original paint or bare metal. I’m tired of fixing someone else’s bad work. In my eyes this car is a peach.

Throw the 318 in the ditch and twin turbo a slant.

Throw the 318 in the ditch and twin turbo a slant.
That made me laugh. I might throw the 318 in a ditch, actually it runs really well so I’d probably offer it to the forum members for free, but there is no chance in hates that I’d put a slant back in one.

That made me laugh. I might throw the 318 in a ditch, actually it runs really well so I’d probably offer it to the forum members for free, but there is no chance in hates that I’d put a slant back in one.
Sissy. lol

I bought three cars today and one is an E body cuda. There are still plenty of projects out there for sale.
I also got over 4 truckloads of parts with the package deal.

Thanks. That does help.
I have a 71 Duster that is in similar shape and I don't know what the heck to ask for it.

71 D.JPG

I remember buying these cars from people for under $500 non running and needing almost everything.

Thank you again for responding. It gives me a ballpark to work from.

Thanks. That does help.
I have a 71 Duster that is in similar shape and I don't know what the heck to ask for it.

View attachment 1716134529

I remember buying these cars from people for under $500 non running and needing almost everything.

Thank you again for responding. It gives me a ballpark to work from.
Run and drive? Stop? Has it been messed with? How is the rust situation? And what drivetrain is in it?

Run and drive?

1 laugh.jpg

No.
I have all sorts of parts to sell with it though. It was a 318-904 but I'm including a 340, 727, 8 3/4" and front disc brakes.
I may assemble all of that in the car to make hauling it easier. It is essentially stock....no aftermarket stuff on it at all.
Rust in trunk floor spare tire well, a couple spots in interior floors. Body is fair. Interior is complete but trashed.

Is that Dart a runner as it is?

Side note, @Kern Dog i just noticed where you’re from, I used to live in Cameron park. Not far from you.

Ha...my first wife was from Shingle Springs. She got really fat.
That makes no difference to this thread but I like telling people.

Is that Dart a runner as it is?
It ran earlier this week. He was in the middle of replacing the timing cover due to a rusted/broken water pump bolt when I called him. I asked him not to put it back together. It also needs some front brake work.

It is a bittersweet thing to stumble into a good deal when you're not looking.
Maybe you don't have the room to store it, you have money but it is set aside for something else, you don't have the time for another project, etc.
In 2013, a member of our car club was disappointed in the progress of his car and was thinking of selling. I like the guy so I offered to paint it. He got it in his mind that my offer meant that I'd take the car to my shop and be involved in every aspect of the build.
I wrote about this dilemma on this forum several years ago.
He wanted me to take all sorts of parts with me, many as payment for doing the body and paint.
When it became obvious that he interpreted our agreement as being far more involved than body and paint, I had to confront him and set him straight. At that point, I repeated my offer to do the work THEN tow it back to his place so that HE could do everything else. He admitted that he would never be able to complete the car so we made a deal.
I already sold off some of the parts but for $4000 from me to him, I'd keep the Valiant convertible, a 65 Barracuda parts car and a 75 Power Wagon and all the parts.
I didn't want a 65 Valiant convertible and I never liked the early Barracuda. These early A body parts are not easy to sell either. It is 10 years later and I still have a bunch of this stuff.
I did make out on the deal. I painted the Barracuda and got it running, then sold it for $5000. The convertible bodywork was almost finished so I sold the car for $2000. I made a nice bundle from the parts too.

Good cars are still out there for sure. This car has a 2” rust hole in the trunk spare tire well, and a little showing in the drivers footwell that hasn’t broke through. That’s it, California car it’s whole life. I told myself a while back I won’t buy anything thats not either original paint or bare metal. I’m tired of fixing someone else’s bad work. In my eyes this car is a peach.
Yea that what I say... and darn if I did not drag home another project.... but at least I made the dude get it running so I could hear it before I laid down the cash!! Yea it had some filler here an yon from the last body guy....but the latter dings were easy to see. At least it has a running engine/trans!!
I bought three cars today and one is an E body cuda. There are still plenty of projects out there for sale.
I also got over 4 truckloads of parts with the package deal.
Yea there are a zillion projects out there and 99% priced at twice what they will bring!!!

But, I bet a lot of cooler solid cars in Ca. than Tx.! and probably cost more too.

I was watching The Pickers on TV other day.... you and are are what they call collectors of buyer of MULTIPLES!!!!! :poke: :BangHead:

I feel your pain. Went with a friend to assess damage from a ladder bar tearing the brackets off of the axle tube on a '69 R Runner. It's an old race car with a trans planted 426 Hemi 4-speed in it. Somehow, I ended up buying it, and I am an A Body guy. The things we get ourselves into. No pictures, it's inside my enclosed trailer, gotta get the broken brackets welded so that it can be safely transported for repair.

20230824_174548.jpg

I feel your pain. Went with a friend to assess damage from a ladder bar tearing the brackets off of the axle tube on a '69 R Runner. It's an old race car with a trans planted 426 Hemi 4-speed in it. Somehow, I ended up buying it, and I am an A Body guy. The things we get ourselves into. No pictures, it's inside my enclosed trailer, gotta get the broken brackets welded so that it can be safely transported for repair.

View attachment 1716134612
Wanna trade? :rofl: @Turbo440Dart and I were just talking about 69 roadrunners and how both of us really need one.

Not yet. Got a local machine shop Hot Rodder coming out to look at the suspension. Then will probably be taking the Dana out and to his shop. They have a jig for the Dana and his son has a laser cutter, so maybe the car will be drivable sooner than I thought!

-
Back