Well, I drug home another one

-
My girl was upset that she didn’t get to go drag it home with me, she’s a keeper. I’m pretty lucky in that aspect. Her and my family all know my afflictions at this point, they don't even ask questions anymore.

Gotta buy another one and take her with you, that’s the only reasonable thing to do.

It was 104 here today so after work I didn’t want to do a damn thing until the sun went down, but I was able to free up the stuck passenger side brake caliper that required us to drag the car on to the trailer with the winch. Also took some pictures of the interior (roached from California sun) and my favorite (had a lot of cars and never seen this) the chrome caliper. Enjoy
View attachment 1716134895

View attachment 1716134896

View attachment 1716134897

View attachment 1716134894

View attachment 1716134898

View attachment 1716134899

View attachment 1716134893

View attachment 1716134900

View attachment 1716134901
Someone was building themselves a fancy show car braking system. The chrome is actually pretty nice on em. Weird.
I’d offer you up the rear seat from my 70 Dart for next to nothing, but it’s black. Can’t use it now that I put the roll bar in.

I’d offer you up the rear seat from my 70 Dart for next to nothing, but it’s black. Can’t use it now that I put the roll bar in.
That’s generous thank you. My frames are in great shape though so probably just some covers. And the white on blue theme is definitely staying. Hopefully another member can use it.

Love solid old cars! You would have to think the guys back in the Rust Belt would look for more cars West! :thumbsup: :BangHead:
Trust me we would we just can't afford $4,500 shipping fee so we settle for one with the trunk that needs repaired or a driver's floor plan that needs replaced I always stay away from cars with any bad frame rails...but we still get them for under $2k still....it all works out in the end...and if that special car does show up in Arizona...fly out and uhaul it back and turn in the uhaul locally....AMD makes it all feasible...

Trust me we would we just can't afford $4,500 shipping fee so we settle for one with the trunk that needs repaired or a driver's floor plan that needs replaced I always stay away from cars with any bad frame rails...but we still get them for under $2k still....it all works out in the end...and if that special car does show up in Arizona...fly out and uhaul it back and turn in the uhaul locally....AMD makes it all feasible...
In the last 12-18 months I have had 1 car go to NE Pa and one to Ne. They drove down here to SE Tx and back Also 2 cars went to Fl. Tecas is big but I will drive here 18 hours to get a better project. Any farther and I will hunt a hotshot with a GOOD price. I hate rust!

Project cars are still out there, and in a lot of cases people aren't asking auction prices. I haven't got the room, but I recently rented a couple of storage spots after two unexpected cars came along. I bought two Challengers for less than half the asking for @TT5.9mag's new-to-him Dart. One's a very restorable '71 V8/stick car, and the other's a fairly rough '74. Both are essentially complete, though. I plan to find out this weekend whether the '71 will start and move under its own power.

Keep draggin' 'em home, I say. Even if I ultimately do nothing with 'em myself, they could at least go to someone else instead of being crushed--which is exactly where the '74 was headed.

Last edited:
My buddy has a duster in Utah his dad gave him, to rent a u-haul trailer, just the trailer was $2000 to WV one way.

I didn’t really need another Dart, I have two and this is the third. I really wasn’t even looking for another Dart. I’ve actually been looking for an early D series shortbed truck lately. But I saw an add, noticed the seller was a friend of a friend, and made a few calls. That was Tuesday, I went to look at it yesterday and today I drug it home. Here is my new to me, original paint, 70 dart.
View attachment 1716134506

View attachment 1716134504

View attachment 1716134505

View attachment 1716134507

View attachment 1716134508
Very low optioned car, 318/904, 7-1/4
Manual Kelsey Hayes disks, power steering, white on blue. I don’t really have a plan for it yet but I don’t own anything that isn’t turbocharged so we all know how that will end up. Time will tell. Gotta thank @Turbo440Dart Chris and Troy for coming along for the ride and the seller Mike for the friend deal. Whatever I do with it I guarantee it’ll be posted here. Stay tuned.

I didn’t really need another Dart, I have two and this is the third. I really wasn’t even looking for another Dart. I’ve actually been looking for an early D series shortbed truck lately. But I saw an add, noticed the seller was a friend of a friend, and made a few calls. That was Tuesday, I went to look at it yesterday and today I drug it home. Here is my new to me, original paint, 70 dart.
View attachment 1716134506

View attachment 1716134504

View attachment 1716134505

View attachment 1716134507

View attachment 1716134508
Very low optioned car, 318/904, 7-1/4
Manual Kelsey Hayes disks, power steering, white on blue. I don’t really have a plan for it yet but I don’t own anything that isn’t turbocharged so we all know how that will end up. Time will tell. Gotta thank @Turbo440Dart Chris and Troy for coming along for the ride and the seller Mike for the friend deal. Whatever I do with it I guarantee it’ll be posted here. Stay tuned.
How serious are you about an early D 100 and intents for same ?

I've had ridiculous offers on a Utiline that I'd hate to part with as it serves a purpose or two.

I thought about a PM but thought this might turn for some a potential thread.

How serious are you about an early D 100 and intents for same ?

I've had ridiculous offers on a Utiline that I'd hate to part with as it serves a purpose or two.

I thought about a PM but thought this might turn for some a potential thread.
Well I was serious. Was being the key word. Now with another dart to work on I dont need a truck. But I will build one at some point.

Well I was serious. Was being the key word. Now with another dart to work on I dont need a truck. But I will build one at some point.
Was asking as am thinking of selling my '61 D 100 Utiline, SoCal 59,000 on the six, all glass is good, some surface rust. I bought it from estate of original owner. New brakes, wheel cylinders, tires, water pump, alternator and battery.

Go to the dump every couple of weeks.

Cool truck but a little too old for my liking. I was looking for an early 70s.

Ive worked on the car quite a bit as of late. Got it off the trailer once I freed up the brakes, found out they were stuck because the PO put Kelsey Hayes disks on it but left the original drum master which still had residual pressure valves in both ports. I had previously ordered new calipers, rotors, and pads but when I was switching over the crossover tubes from old calipers to new, rust happened and I snapped one. Off to summits website and I ordered a stainless like kit with all 4 hard lines. Also placed an order at Dr. Diff for an aluminum 15/16” master and adapter kit. Now just waiting on parts. I also pulled the radiator and started cleaning up some wiring in the engine compartment, to begin putting the front of the 318 back together. That’ll happen this week after work if I get some free time.
4AA41EBA-D846-4808-A914-8366778EB8C9.jpeg

199F3A23-01C8-4028-B8A4-D0785B8DF6E4.png

I’m slackin on the updates, sorry fellas. I don’t get much time during the week to work on the car and last weekend I was out of town for a few days, but I have fiddled with it a bit. I cut the 2 barrel throttle cable bracket in half and moved the cable mount around, lengthened the throttle pressure rod, went to Bob Mazzolini racing and got a Holley, mopar throttle lever, took off the 650avs2 and stuck on an old 3310 (I’m a Holley guy) I had. All of the carb/kickdown linkage works perfectly now and it has full throttle. The master cylinder and adapter came in from Dr Diff so I crawled under the dash and got that all installed. Kelsey Hayes line kit came in so the new calipers are ready to go back on. Called up a friend and he weaseled me a comp xe268 that he had sittin on the shelf (unobtainium of you ask Comp, no cores) I got lucky there. That’s as far as I’ve got. No pics but I’ll snap some tomorrow after work when I get a chance to work on it again. I’ll probably start on the cam swap and front dress tomorrow.

Had some time over the weekend and Monday night to work on the dart. Tore down the top half of the engine for gaskets (looks like the last guy had way, way too much faith in orange silicone) and a cam change. New timing cover and water pump. Forgot to put the oil slinger on and the balancer hit the cover so I actually had to do it all twice. Had a bunch of trouble with the fan clutch and pulley alignment but got that figured out as well. I’m certain the fan and clutch that came with the car were never on this engine. Had to drill out the bolt holes in the fan clutch. But I got it all put back together. Fixed a bunch of engine compartment wiring and tested the ignition system to make sure this thing will light right off to break in the cam. Last night I tore out the old (and in horrible shape) trans cooler lines and started making new, got one finished and installed but have one more to do before I can fire it.

2D7D4C3B-7027-4F3E-A08F-15392A6E3EA4.jpeg

44F41414-CC99-4287-80F6-322244BF0749.jpeg

Cam that came out of it.
6CD5598D-B3C4-4023-A22B-25623A0C82CA.jpeg

B405FD44-F097-4292-B818-92A24086F835.jpeg

70C0E381-97CF-4EC4-B811-5A99A048DEC9.jpeg

9803854E-CFAE-48D7-A125-0D80BD72FAFE.jpeg

B4F8B49A-B726-4D6A-9DD9-03A92A797174.jpeg

2AE322B9-49B5-46FB-A4F6-C2774AB8FF56.jpeg

1EEEA659-BF11-46B8-8F27-D4C1A6DDC4BD.jpeg

Had some time over the weekend and Monday night to work on the dart. Tore down the top half of the engine for gaskets (looks like the last guy had way, way too much faith in orange silicone) and a cam change. New timing cover and water pump. Forgot to put the oil slinger on and the balancer hit the cover so I actually had to do it all twice. Had a bunch of trouble with the fan clutch and pulley alignment but got that figured out as well. I’m certain the fan and clutch that came with the car were never on this engine. Had to drill out the bolt holes in the fan clutch. But I got it all put back together. Fixed a bunch of engine compartment wiring and tested the ignition system to make sure this thing will light right off to break in the cam. Last night I tore out the old (and in horrible shape) trans cooler lines and started making new, got one finished and installed but have one more to do before I can fire it.

View attachment 1716143804

View attachment 1716143803
Cam that came out of it.
View attachment 1716143806

View attachment 1716143805

View attachment 1716143808

View attachment 1716143810

View attachment 1716143809

View attachment 1716143811

View attachment 1716143812
If someone told you it would all be easy...they were lying!!

Yea it does run and drive now. But that brings a whole host of other new things to fix. The cam break in went well besides the temp creeping up a bit and having to shut it off twice. Not sure I trust the radiator that’s in it just yet, the whole system had a bunch of rust in it and the fan clutch is pretty loose. But the little teen runs fairly well. It smoked quite a bit in the first few minutes but really cleared up after running a while. Got all the front brakes back together and (almost) working like they’re supposed to. I made @Turbo440Dart reluctantly rob some hardware off my yellow car that was missing from these calipers just to get it going. Still have some air in the system to bleed out, but they do stop the car after a pump or two. Transmission seems to shift pretty well but too fast, I think it was in 3rd at about 16mph. Now the bad, the exhaust system is absolutely terrible, driving down the road it sounds like I have a trunk full of angry children trying to hammer their way out. Quick look shows the driver side is attached only to hopes and dreams. Burnouts in the dirt showed the passenger side engine mount has left the chat as well. But it’s running, movable and kind of drivable so that’s progress right?

Spent all day Sunday dealing with engine and trans mounts. All of the mounts on this car seem original and in absolutely terrible shape. The driver side engine mount was basically just two plates with no rubber. The passenger side still had rubber but wasn’t bonded any more. And the trans mount had been in the relaxed, lazy position it was in for so long I couldn’t pull the engine forward to make it live where it was supposed to. @Turbo440Dart gave me one solid mount so I put that in on the driver side and had to make a “custom” temporary passenger side mount to keep the engine up while I wait for parts. I also had a brake line that I reused on the driver side caliper that didn’t leak until pressure was put to it so off came the brakes again for another new hardline.
F162686B-DB80-425A-A9C6-83F9F42988BE.jpeg

DFF66231-FA95-4A08-8C8F-08956291E86C.jpeg

Been fighting the points distributor for the last few days. It’s been misfiring quite a bit all throughout the rpm range so I cleaned the cap, rotor, and points on Saturday and magically the engine wouldn’t run anymore. Pulled the distributor, cleaned the rubbing block and points of all old dried up grease, re set the points and lubed everything back up and it ran again. But that made me want to upgrade it moving forward. So here we are. Dug an old electronic distributor out of my stash, tested the pickup and vacuum can (both work perfect) and got to work. I disassembled and cleaned the entire thing, welded up and filed the slots to .385, got rid of the long loop heavy spring and add a light spring, so one medium and one light. Made a template and cut some 3/16” aluminum plate for a bracket and mounted an hei module to the bottom of it. Instant, cheap, reliable electronic ignition. I will use a spare e core coil from a magnum dodge truck I have in a box somewhere I just haven’t got that far yet. Might try to install it tonight and do some wiring on the car side.
5C9B7B6F-8384-451B-9C9A-D588AA77B2A9.jpeg

6F349A2D-92D8-4B12-812C-154E211E028E.jpeg

01D8010A-C04A-4A5B-9E59-31DDE83502AA.jpeg

F33E1F36-C3AD-4E47-A400-8D9963804691.jpeg

D77D1548-B64A-433D-938C-6FF316E85082.jpeg

35CDF6C7-43B2-4292-9485-3A5EC1B0C856.jpeg

25A580C1-AB9D-4917-943D-26967E331ACE.jpeg

First test. The pick up coil wasn’t square to the reluctor, had to bend the tab slightly to line em up. After I fixed that the spark was much more consistent and strong.

-
Back