Well i went and did it!

-

dusterdragracer

Drag Racer
Reaction score
Yup, did the exact thing I never do. Dumped a 7 second dragster at a high dollar gambler race, during our Summit Race Of Champions. It was the 3rd round and I didn't trust the car (you know why if you follow my blogs)I just barely dumped him at the finish line, and it was .0084 for him. We went on Walace it was 18" at the stripe. I ran real close to my number, and the MPH was really close, but any kind of lift was that amount.What is worse, I put .005 in the box, and that too would have done it, but then again, I would have just dumped more right?
My friends were at the finish line, they saw my brake lights as I crossed. Now I know I didn't apply the brakes, but my foot was there, and my go pedal was lifting.I have replayed it in my mind many times this weekend!
So it may work for you to lift on dragsters , but I don't plan on doing it again any time soon. I am going to keep putting my dragster package on. That is, put a real number on the car, look staright ahead, and keep saying "don't lift", even when it looks like they aren't going to be there!
I am a bone head for sure!

Don't beat yourself up Chris. With 3 or 4 seconds coming at ya', it's just a instinct thing. Sometimes you get it right and sometimes.....

Certain runs use to stick with me too. Once I took a buddies Camaro to one of the larger bracket races in our area. I had raced it before and was a super consistent car. I got there late and only got one time run in. In the first round my opponent red lit and I just backed out of it and threw away a perfectly good "freebie" time run. I have no idea why, just a crazy reaction. Come round two, same dial, I took the guy by about a fender wide open, but oops, .012 too quick :banghead:. I thought about that for days. Sometimes it just happens.

Sorry we did not make it on Saturday.....like I mentioned in my email we just could not leave home with having a sick Pooch. We did go on Sunday but got there after Noon. Did you see that beautiful Early Fish Fastback that was running mid 9's? Talked to the wife and she mentioned it had a 528" BBC in it....car was absolutely stunning...

Its never easy with a MUCH faster car. I just dial tight and run it out if I have room. But I have only won a few races and friends that race for a living think I'm nuts. Stuff happens just try not to repeat the same mistakes is my moto.

Hi Doug,missed you guys, yes, I ve seen it before at Bremerton. It has been around a while.He came to a Mopar race there once, everybody was tissing him, and he never opened the hood! Doesn't bother me, it's a way cool car.
Randy said, "that is why he can afford nice paint, because he is running a Chevy"....LOL
There was also a 67 Valiant with a SB chev in it running low 11's which would be 10:60's at sea level.. A teen girl was driving it. I talked to dad a while. He used BB fenderwell chrysler headers, and said they almost fit perfect, just a little flang work.Nice guy.

Thanks for the suport guys. It gets worse. In the 1st round of the Summit Race Of Champions, I get a different 7 second dragster. He lays a 4 thou. package on me complete with a .001 light. I never had a chance.Lots of work all year, to get to the ROC, to loose that way. All the years I have raced, I 've never had a package like that layed on me.I think he just took a shot, and got lucky. But how would I know?At least I didn't lift....LOL

Hi Doug,missed you guys, yes, I ve seen it before at Bremerton. It has been around a while.He came to a Mopar race there once, everybody was tissing him, and he never opened the hood! Doesn't bother me, it's a way cool car.
Randy said, "that is why he can afford nice paint, because he is running a Chevy"....LOL
There was also a 67 Valiant with a SB chev in it running low 11's which would be 10:60's at sea level.. A teen girl was driving it. I talked to dad a while. He used BB fenderwell chrysler headers, and said they almost fit perfect, just a little flang work.Nice guy.

Did indeed see the 67 Valiant.....we were walking by when the young lady was climbing out, complaining of the heat. Seen Randy's wife (ex?) in the stands but did not remember her name so remained silent. You going to the Dukes show coming up? If so, see you then....By the way, the pooch is doing a lot better.....

Good news about poochie. Yes, to Dukes. Tammy is running her Dart with slicks, and
I am running the 300 with her in street.That way we can hang together.We should get to do some TT's side by side. Please bring your cammera.It's going to be a fun race.
Say hi to ma ma.
P.S. Her name is Sharon, she was texting me after every round. She was one of my cheer leaders, along with "Aussie Ray" in Oz.

Will indeed bring my camera. Just left myself a note on the fridge to charge the batteries...By any chance was Randy there? I have yet to meet him but there was a tall thin fellow that looked like the pictures I have seen of him talking to her...

Yes, Randy was there. He is tall&thin.Was his mouth going a mile a minute like me (or worse)? Then that was Randy. He had 'T' man (son) with him.I thought you met him.You will like him when you meet him. Funny, the whole family was together, grandpaw (Phil), grandma.Wierd to think they are divoricing.

Yes, Randy was there. He is tall&thin.Was his mouth going a mile a minute like me (or worse)? Then that was Randy. He had 'T' man (son) with him.I thought you met him.You will like him when you meet him. Funny, the whole family was together, grandpaw (Phil), grandma.Wierd to think they are divoricing.

Must not have been him, no youngster and was pretty quiet....

-
Back