Well I've decided... sort of

-

MoparPowa

Reaction score
I'm done screwing around with Keisler, Passon, and all the likes in between. It gets pretty old waiting around on empty promises and release dates. In my personal opinion, that's called bad business tactics, but whatever. I want to put a center console in my car to match the 66 'Cuda dash I'm using. I don't really want to add a 4 speed hump, and I require overdrive. That really only leaves me with a couple options as I see it. The 42RH(A500), 46RH(A518), or a 200-4R. My goal is a pro-touring style car that is a comfortable cruiser with solid cornering skills, pretty good pickup in the straights, and decent mileage. I'm hoping some folks can give me some solid input on which transmission would be best to run. I would prefer to run the A500 as it is based on the A904 which is extremely efficient and lightweight. As the owner of an early a-body, I understand I will have to cut up the car some, mostly remodeling the torsion bar x-member(Alter-K front end and back anyhow) and making some extra room in the floor for the overdrive tailshaft. The fastest I'd want this car to be is 11.50's in the quarter, since I will not be adding a cage. Is the A500 up to the task? Who is your favorite builder? Who is well known and has proven experience with these transmissions? On the torque converter side of things, does anyone have a favorite for a corner carving vehicle? My personal favorite in what I've researched is the muscledrive converter but they don't build them for the A500 chrysler's. A custom one-off may be possible I suppose. I appreciate any of your ideas and input and I'm looking forward to finally start making progress on my car again and not waiting around on "promised products" to come out.

Thanks everyone,
Ryan

IMHO, ....and this will surprise some because I am a HUGE 904 fan, but I would run the A518. You say you are wanting to go 11.50. I think the A518 can do it more cost effectively. Besides that, once built and built correctly, you will literally never ever have a problem with it. Yes, the 904 based transmission takes less HP to drive and is lighter and all the other arguements I have given in favor of them, but when it comes down to it, the A518 is a beast and will last forever. GM 200? did you really say that?

Yeah the GM trans many hot rodders use with great results. Who cares what name on it, still was design and built here, not overseas, maybe just down the street from a Mopar trans factory by the same type of people. Why limited your choices just based on a name? I don't like the steep 1st gear of 3 to 1 cause 2nd gear comes on too early. If you got OD why not use a gear like 3.55 or 3.91--with those rear gears you don't need a 3 to 1 first gear.Be a blast from a stop but then hit 2nd and you stop accelerating--just about, lol The GM trans can be built take loads of abuse what I heard.

11.5 is pretty darn quick, no way that light duty trans the A500 will hold up. OD trans are weaker than the 3 speeds, the 904 needs to be beefed up to last in a 12 second car. Why put a $2,000 trans in that might break in a few months ???? Then you need to spend more $ No trans shop is going to warranty it in your hotrod unless you spend, IDK, $4,000 on it?

I would use the GV, you'll find yourself in situations wishing you could split the 2/3. . . .

If you are serious about the road racing issue, the GV. . .splitting that 2/3 and od'ing 3rd will be huge. . . .

If you want to use the 42RH, you need to call SMR Racing...they are the experts on the TF overdrive in racing/performance applications..

As far as a 904 living, I got 3 904 in drag racing cars...Just got home from the track, been there friday, saturday..and sunday night....The 904 in the 71 Dart...is working on its 5 season of racing....hitting it with a Tranzact transbrake.....If you take out the cost of the transbrake...I dont think I have 300 bucks in it including the cost of the 24 spring kit that is a one time buy...

Just look at my sign below....the barracuda, dart and demon are using 904s...

btw the Dart ran a 11.04 @ 119+ with a corrected elevation over 6000 ft.

-
Back