Well, sign me up for the old folks home.

-
Yikes. Glad you came out of it with just bumps and bruises.

About 10 years ago I was going up a ladder to the loft area in my shop. I got about half way up, feet about 4-5' from the ground, and the bottom slipped backwards sending me straight down. I clearly recall thinking all I needed to do was put my arms out flat on the loft landing and catch myself, then lower down to the shop floor. Wrong. I wound up going straight down, destroying one ankle and messing up the other one pretty good. The bad ankle was so bad, I had to heal up the less messed up one for 6 months before they could rebuild the bad one. After surgery I was on a knee roller for 6 months, in a walking boot for a year, and it hurt like a bastard for a couple more years. I don't do ladders any more, I pay healthy young handymen to do that stuff for me now.

I spent my career in trucking. One of the never-ever rules was to NOT use a hand truck as a pallet jack. Drivers would slide a two-wheel hand truck under a moderately heavy pallet and drag it backwards to the tail of a trailer so a forklift could take the pallet off. This was absolutely forbidden in any manner. But drivers did it anyway. One day a driver did this, and just as he got to the back of the trailer (with an open door and a forklift waiting there) the board on the pallet broke, he fell out of the trailer, and hit his head on the forklift. That was the end of his career and any kind of normal life. It was a terrible thing, he was a decent guy and in his 30's but he scrambled up his brains to where he will never recover. Now he can't work, his wife has to take care of him and he can't think right at all. Ask him what color the sky is and he will say it's green. It was a tragic shortcut and he will be paying the price for the rest of his days. Falling can have devastating consequences.

Getting old sucks.I fell off my 18 wheeler broke my wrist and have nerve/tendon damage and at the same time have charcot-foot. Hope you get feeling better

-
Back