Well that wasn't fun but I fixed both issues.

-

gtgto

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Decided to fix my clutch safety switch so I cannot start my car while in gear and I also wanted to fix my key in buzzer just because. The clutch safety switch was just grounded to the firewall to one of the mounting bolts for the steering column. After I found that I needed the part that connects to the clutch pedal arm and to the switch and plastic clip that keeps the wire in place online I attempted the repair. I got it all back in place which was not easy under the dash but the parts are installed and I tested it out and the safety mechanism now works as intended. the black clip was impossible to get in so I used a zip tie in the place of the pin in the middle of the clip.....It works flawlessly. The key in buzzer most people want to disable and I wanted mine to work and once I found the switch in the steering column was the issue I found one online. They are not reproduced so I bought an NOS one and I also found a used one from someone on FABO who wasn't out to break my bank. I installed it and tested it and my buzzer although it doesn't sound fantastic it does work when the door is open and the keys are in the ignition. It is so gratifying to actually fix what you set out to fix.

I am not sure of the channel name but I found a youtube channel and the guy had a 4-part series on removing, breaking down, restoring and putting back together a B Body steering column. I learned so much watching that series. so much information is out there when you need it.

Last edited:
Third times a charm. Took apart my column for hopefully the last time. This last time my lockout was not working correctly and would work then it wouldn't work. I watched Cuda Cody's youtube videos again and realized I probably screwed up the spring installation on the lockout tab mechanism. This morning I took it all apart again and did find the spring was not installed correctly. Installed it all and greased a couple of spots that the video said to lightly grease and put it all back together and now I am all set. I am getting good at taking apart and re assembling my steering column. Put the steering wheel back on clocked properly to finish it all off.

I dislike denegrating honest effort, but in my opinion, clutch switches are in some ways more dangerous than "not." First of all you do NOT need to be in neutral. So if you depress the clutch, start it, THINK you are in neutral, and let up the clutch, you are in for a bad surprise.

On the other hand, in gear, and you don't depress the clutch, the car will usually "lurch" on the starter and give you some warning.

This of course is coming from an old, old man, 74. I grew up without any such, and not having them didn't cause problems.

Good on ya tho for getting in there. I cannot IMAGINE what it would be like to try and restore say, a 2005 "something" 40 years from now

I dislike denegrating honest effort, but in my opinion, clutch switches are in some ways more dangerous than "not." First of all you do NOT need to be in neutral. So if you depress the clutch, start it, THINK you are in neutral, and let up the clutch, you are in for a bad surprise.

On the other hand, in gear, and you don't depress the clutch, the car will usually "lurch" on the starter and give you some warning.

This of course is coming from an old, old man, 74. I grew up without any such, and not having them didn't cause problems.

Good on ya tho for getting in there. I cannot IMAGINE what it would be like to try and restore say, a 2005 "something" 40 years from now
You are right but I am so used to putting my cars in neutral before starting them I figured how hard can it be to put it back to the way it was originally. I had a situation years ago with a Cougar I had. It was a 72 Cougar with a 351 Cleveland and a 4 speed. I don't remember what I bought at the local parts store but for some reason I needed to bump the engine and reached in the open window to give the key a quick turn. The car was in reverse and when I bumped the starter the car started and I am chasing my car down the parking lot. I was able to get in and hit the brakes to stall the car. I'm sure it was entertaining for the people in the parts store. Now I put my car in neutral and now I need to depress the clutch to start my car....fun times....

I have just one word (ok 2 words)

Parking Brake!

I was 15 and messing around in my sister's boyfriends vw bus.

I thought it would be funny to give him a start and turn the key he left in the ignition.

It lurched forward a foot, which was 3 inches shy of the car parked Infront of it.

I booked it out of there in a hurry!

I would much rather have something to prevent the engine from turning over while in gear and/or without the clutch depressed

I have just one word (ok 2 words)

Parking Brake!

I was 15 and messing around in my sister's boyfriends vw bus.

I thought it would be funny to give him a start and turn the key he left in the ignition.

It lurched forward a foot, which was 3 inches shy of the car parked Infront of it.

I booked it out of there in a hurry!

I would much rather have something to prevent the engine from turning over while in gear and/or without the clutch depressed
I learned to drive a stick on my dad's '74 VW Bus. Once you play "leapfrog" a time or two you'll get used to starting the engine with the clutch depressed!

-
Back