Went to see a 68 Barracuda notchback black on black

-
One original Polyglas tire on it, probably the spare wheel.

P5014137.JPG

People diggin the "yank tank"
Yep, i have bought lots of old cars that you have to "shovel out" the interior and trunk. Looks like a good solid buy. Will make a nice project.

V8 ? Or staying with the slant 6 ?

I'll keep it stock, so staying with the L6, make it mechanical uptodate and drive it for a year or so and move on to the next one.

Like i was saying before, looks like there was a prob w column shift 3 speed since its been taken apart. My 67 was a slant 3 on the tree when i got it, prev owner removed the shifter lever, butchered floor for a 3 on the floor conversion that was never completed.

I converted to V8 4 speed. When i disassembled the column to smooth it out, i found a rectangle piece of steel that was broken away from the shifter tube that the shifter collar keys into. It looks like they brazed it to the tube at the factory. Had they torn the column down they could have brazed it back, and reassembled the column. However instead of the car sitting since 1981, it would have likely been used up and discarded, so good thing they never figured out the problem, or figured out how to home brew a floor shift setup.

Seeing the shift lever removed from yours i bet the column in yours has the same issue.

P5034144.JPG

P5034145.JPG

They had some problems with the lever indeed...
I took a picture from the trans, looks like a 3 speed. Anybody can confirm that? Or should I take the 50 years of grease off the ID numbers?

Included were some real wooden armrests, lol.:wtf:

I can only assume a 3 speed, because thats whats typical behind a slant. I dont understand the 3 rods though. Usually a 3 speed manual has 1 rod for reverse and 1st, and one other rod for 2ns and 3rd gears. This pic shows 3 rods.

It might be easier to get another manual column shift shifter collar to replace the busted one, and rebuild the "3 on the tree" column. The good part is that darts and valiants were all offered with a manual on the column, so parts should be out there and not too hard to find.

I dont think anybody made a 3 speed on the floor conversion kit for this trans.

I like the "rustic looking" armrests you got there.

-
Back