Went to the dark side again. Picked up a non-mopar toy

-
It is fun Rani and will have all the benefits of being a classic( insurance. tags,etc.) in 2 years. Thanks. The 5.0 will definitely depress you against drivers seat upon acceleration. LOL

Oldschoolcuda

its funny.. the fox body stangs were fast for their day but these days mine will get its *** kicked by a v-6..lol

i put historic tags on mine too. its an 87 so i lucked out and could do it right away..:)

The top in pictures is original. No worries in Southeast,VA. We have a real winter every 4th year maybe. My 2004 wrangler still has original top with no issues.

Oldschoolcuda

The car was garaged all the time, then? That is the ONLY way I have ever seen a top last more than a few years. Not to mention: the car is, for all practical purposes, impossible to lock.

Wrangler tops (sailcloth since about 1997) seem a lot tougher than most convertibles.

Honestly...I wouldn't own a ragtop. Too many compromises. Also, I just cannot get past the fact that the car WILL need a $2000+ repair (new top) every few years if I actually drive it.

your loss man... different strokes i guess. me personally would like to buy nothing but ragtops from here on out.. but i'm sure i'll fall in love with some car that has a damn metal roof along the way.

my top was replaced a few years ago for the first time.. 23 or so years isn't a bad life span if you ask me.. if you take care of it the top will last quite a long time.

and i have the reciept. it was only $1300 and that was replacing all the pads and associated stuff...

the car is, for all practical purposes, impossible to lock.

true. but if someone wants in any car they are getting in. a hardtop and locks are only keeping an honest person honest...

its funny.. the fox body stangs were fast for their day but these days mine will get its *** kicked by a v-6..lol

Yea. No kidding Joe with the current v-6's pushing over 300 hp but what the hey, i am gonna cruise not bruise in this rascal.

Oldschoolcuda

Yea. No kidding Joe with the current v-6's pushing over 300 hp but what the hey, i am gonna cruise not bruise in this rascal.

Oldschoolcuda

i hear ya.. exactly what i do with mine.. mine has a 2.73 gear. not great off the line but cruises at 80mph at like 2100 rpm...lol..

The car was garaged all the time, then? That is the ONLY way I have ever seen a top last more than a few years. Not to mention: the car is, for all practical purposes, impossible to lock.

No, but she did sit under a carport and not concerned about practicality during my retirement. Even if i replace a top very 5th year I'll be taking a dirt nap most likely after 4 replacements so what the hell.

Wrangler tops (sailcloth since about 1997) seem a lot tougher than most convertibles.

True but they due hold moisture worse than vert top. It is all about upkeep, maintenance & climate you live in. This is far from my first rodeo with a vert. Nothing can kill my buzz.

Oldschoolcuda

I have driven a couple...they are heavier, more flexible (especially a unit-body), cold in the winter, noisy (even top-up), usually cost more to insure for full coverage, they tend to leak. Way too many compromises.

I have driven a couple...they are heavier, more flexible (especially a unit-body), cold in the winter, noisy (even top-up), usually cost more to insure for full coverage, they tend to leak. Way too many compromises.

lol.. we are talking about a 25 year old car. most likely not daily driving it at this point. though some still do. i had a 90 rag top stang years ago as a daily driver and really liked it.. heat worked great. it did cool off faster then a hard top like when you run into to a store or something but the heat kicked ***. do they rattle... hell yea the older ones anyway... they are heavier but like any other uni-body it should get frame connectors if you want to put any power to it.

the new ones are a different story though. i had a 2012 stang rag top as a rental in fla last year.. with the top up you would have sworn it was a hard top it was so quiet. and it had a headliner so i'm sure it stayed a lot warmer then the older ones,,

it is what it is.. you don't want one.. me i love going out and cruising with the top down..

Everything you said is true, but once you own one you'll be hooked.
The Dart is my second convertible and when the weathers nice, morning or evening drives are awesome.
And if you have kids (I have 3 under 10) they will love it too.
I don't know what other american made convertibles are like, but the Dart has been well engineered considering it is from 1967, it's not just a coupe with the roof cut off.

i hear ya.. exactly what i do with mine.. mine has a 2.73 gear. not greatoff the line but cruises at 80mph at like 2100 rpm...lol..

I've got the 2:73 with a 5 speed and I'm impressed by how quick it is. Its not real fast but it goes good. I've got exhaust and ignition up grades only.

Everything you said is true, but once you own one you'll be hooked.
The Dart is my second convertible and when the weathers nice, morning or evening drives are awesome.
And if you have kids (I have 3 under 10) they will love it too.
I don't know what other american made convertibles are like, but the Dart has been well engineered considering it is from 1967, it's not just a coupe with the roof cut off.

You're not reading my posts: I will not own one, not even if it's free. Not on a bet.

you're not reading my posts: I will not own one, not even if it's free. Not on a bet.
Thank you, thank you very much. ROFL

Attachments

• images.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 80
The only reason Mopar owners buy other brands is because they need a vehicle that runs 24-7

Have a nice day :)

-
Back