West Virginia Mine explosion

-

memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Prayers sent to the families and miners at the Massey mine
25 miners dead and I can just hope that nun of or members have lost a family or friend in there. I know our members grumpuscreature and Xcptshnl1 are close buy :shock: and my prayers go out to the community [-o<
This mine has 4 people missing.
They said the ground shook for miles around

we had many people we know in WV / have knowed many miners my grandfather was one when he was young teens both age and years he worked/ friend dad was traped in a mine / he had over 50 bones broken pipes all over his body/ when playing football if you hit him you could feel the pipes hope for the best on the missing

That mine is in Whitesville, about 25 miles from here.The sad part is that the state government will do nothing about it besides the usual speech making and posturing. Massey Coal has a really bad safety record but they will come out of this relatively untouched. The worst that will happen is they will be fined what to them is chump change and they will promise to make changes that will be promptly forgotten about. In the meantime, we have a new crop of widows and orphans to tend to and try to heal. Read in the paper where one of the miners that was killed was going to retire in 5 days after working in the mines for 30 years. This sort of thing has been going on here for a little over 150 years. We are used to it and it is one of the things that makes Almost Heaven such a special place. People here are friendly, will help with almost anything if you ask, and are deeply religous. A lot of that has to do with the fact that the guy you are nasty to today may be one of the people your family will need to survive when you die in the mines. Both Mary and I have lost relatives in the mines and the logging industry. Those are the only 2 industries here that pay anything resembling a decent wage. Kinda sucks, but that's life in our holler.

You would think that with todays technogoly you could send robots down there to replace humans in the more dangerous areas.

Thoughts and prayers go out to all these families affected by such a terrible tragic accident. God Bless you all and hopefully if anything, some good can come from this in terms of safer mining pratices or safety issues related to mining. Such a terrible time for all involved.

-
Back