what 4 speed auto transmissions can i use? 46rh etc

-

maca

Reaction score
Hi all
I am installing a dodge 360 magnum 5.9l engine into my old 1972 coupe. I have looked at 4 speed transmissions and don't know which one to get. I have converted the magnum from efi to carby so I am not using a ecu. I don't think I can use the 46re as they need an ecu to change but I have used a 46rh before and it worked fine. I can get another 46rh transmission but I have read about some other ones A604 or A606 but don't know anything about them. Would these be any good for me? Or what other 4 speeds would be good for me to use?
Thanks Maca
PS I have found some rebuilt 46rh transmissions below for $1300 which sounds fair. comes with a new convertor too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-Dodge...ash=item2c6df6dddf:g:pxEAAOSwcu5UMnlZ&vxp=mtr

The problems with Mopar OD automatics:

I believe you can "work around" the RH series which stands for HYDRAULIC

The RE series either must have a computer or can be converted to "all manual" and then manually switch the OD

The 46 series (A518/ 727 based) will NOT fit an A body without serious floor/ tunnel work

the smaller A500 / 904 based (42/ 44) will fit with "serious" crossmember mods, but you can get by without cutting up the floor. There's been a couple of "serious" threads here on FABO

At least one member did a write up adapting the GM 200R4 / 200-4R into an A which does not require floor mods

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=178459

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=331838

200R4

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=174333

Thanks. I have put s 46rh a518 in a abody before and it was a pain so i will stick to the a500 as the cross member mods are easy for me.
Cheers

hey guys
I was told that Mopar performance sell the a500 transmissions new.
I cant seem to find a price or them for sale anywhere.

I can't find anything either. I did find a guy who is selling one and said it's brand new from mopar performance so I want to see what they are worth new. But on the mopar performance website they don't list prices in their catalogs. Is there somewhere else where I can find out a price? Is mopar performance a place where I can buy from or are they just an information site.

In your original post, you referenced an ebay site for a Durango transmission. Whatever transmission you find, make sure it's for 2 wheel drive and not 4 wheel drive.

I used a 42rh out of an early Dakota. I even kept the throttle cable that was on it and it works much better that the factory linkage. I had to redo the T bar crossmember and shorten the driveshaft, but it was all worth it. The 4wd can be converted to 2wd easily enough, the extention housing and output shaft are the only differences.

Thanks guys.
The eBay guys never got back to me. Looks like I can buy a 2wd a500 rebuild with a converter for around $1500.
The new mopar performance one I found is $1300
I could buy used but I would have to see it running I think as its a long way for warranty. Lol

I have googled Mopar performance before I decide to buy the A500 trans as apparently its a new trans from them. I cant seem to contact them. Its asking me for vin numbers etc. Are they an automotive parts outlet? how can I contact them as business hours in the usa are in the middle of the night here,
cheers

I think the opposite is true. I think you have an outdated part no. When I googled this, anything that came up was more than 10 years old. This here seems to be the latest MP catalog, and there's no mention of complete transmissions in there I can see

http://www.mopar.com/catalog/

i have googled mopar performance before i decide to buy the a500 trans as apparently its a new trans from them. I cant seem to contact them. Its asking me for vin numbers etc. Are they an automotive parts outlet? How can i contact them as business hours in the usa are in the middle of the night here,
cheers

link?

http://www.mopar.com/shop/
They look like they only supply new car parts and when I search a500 on there site it just lists catalogue not a trans with a price. maybe they don't do it anymore. The guy with the trans just told me he brought it back in 2008

http://www.mopar.com/shop/
They look like they only supply new car parts and when I search a500 on there site it just lists catalogue not a trans with a price. maybe they don't do it anymore. The guy with the trans just told me he brought it back in 2008

Ahhhh!! Same place I ended up, above.

Hey guys
I had a transmission shop tell me today that the a500/42rh transmission will not work behind my 5.9 magnum. He said the a500s were only behind the 5.2 but I am sure I have seen posts on here of them behind 5.9s.
I don't want to cut the whole floor so don't really want to use a a518.

I'm sure that's not true. Guys on here have built 904s to hold 600hp. Find a different rebuilder LOL. "I've been told" the weak point of the A500 is the OD.

Using an A500 transmission will need the same floor and crossmember alterations as with an A518.
The A500 transmission body itself may be smaller, but the flange to the OD is the same on both, and that's where the floor mods are needed.

Left A518 - Mid 727 - Right A500
Mopar_Automatic_A518_727_a500.jpg

Using an A500 transmission will need the same floor and crossmember alterations as with an A518.

According to threads on here documenting these very swaps that is not true. The A500 WILL need a fairly extensive mod to the crossmember, but the floor does not need to be split open and expanded.

The 518 needs much more work. There are at least two good pictorial threads on here by members.

What I'm saying is, "according to." If someone has actually DONE this with a 518 and not had to hack up the floor I'd sure like to see it.

My understanding is the 42/44 transmissions are 904 size and the 46 are 727 size. Also the 42's were used with 3.9 engine, the 44/46's for the 5.2 and 5.9's used the 46rh/re. I'm all read up because my friend is swapping motors and trans. in his Dakota. I also understand the 44rh will stand up to a 5.9 but the 42rh won't last long. They will all bolt up.

What I'm saying is, "according to." If someone has actually DONE this with a 518 and not had to hack up the floor I'd sure like to see it.

I installed a 518 in my '73 Dart.
I removed the top of the crossmember entirely at first, and after a few weeks I fully welded the remaining part of the crossmember to the floorboards for rigidity as the spotwelds where starting to seperate.

Did not cut open the floorboard but used a healthy sized hammer to remodel/clearance the tunnel. The problem area is the ridge/nubs where the OD-unit starts.

I don't have any good pics of the modified tunnel because at the time of the installation it was a long day in the garage, taking pics was not high on my todo list.
This is the only pic I made during the 4 or 5 times I've had the transmission trial fitted up there;

IMG_2349.jpg

!!!BOY!!! Thank you for that!!! Sure wish you had "more" tho. This might indicate "an easier path." The only other photos I've seen show part of the floor hump split open and expanded, or more metal being added.

Eventhough I'm daily driving the (lowered) Dart without any issues on speedbumps, I would've liked the transmission to be tucked up a little higher in the tunnel.
The stock deeper 518-transmission pan is the lowest part under the car right now, hanging about 1/2" to 1" below the exhaust pipes.

The 518-swap also let me to install bigger (1") torsion bars and better shocks to cope with 'oversized' and crowned speedbumps.
But at the moment the car can't be lowered much more because the front tires will rub the fenders at 3/4 to full lock.

If I had cut open the floorboard and refab the tunnel, I think I might have been able to gain about a 1/2" in height, but I don't need the extra groundclearance at the moment.

-
Back