what 8 1/4 rears will fit

-

wp23n

Reaction score
in my 73 scamp?

i know dusters and darts but are there any other
bodies that used the same width rear...

also i need something with big bolt pattern or i will have
to swap axles which i dont really want to do..
unsure of what year they started with the BBPs

thanks in advance for any info offered

Direct bolt-in would be an 8.25 from when they were first used in A Bodies (73 I think thru 76). All 8.25s used LBP axles.

We have used ones from the Aspen/Volare' family with good results. even under small fender Valiant/Darts using 7 inch rear wheels with a 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 rear backspacing.
Duster/Demon have much more clearance. Cheap too.

I have a 8 3/4 big bolt rear. It is an abody rear with big bolt axles. it has redrilled abody drums. Yes it has abody baking plates and brakes and it is the same axle width as the small bolt axles. I am in Pa. near the jersey border.Complete drum to drum with springs and shock plates . PM me if interested It came in this scamp which is now stripped. They used all new brakes , hardware , Axles and Drums. The rear was built in the mid 80's and I do not know where they got the axles. But they do have pressed in studs and retain a-body flanges with 4 1/2 pattern with 1/2 studs. still in car 750 complete even the factory wheels.

Attachments

• DSCF3045.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 141
We have used ones from the Aspen/Volare' family with good results. even under small fender Valiant/Darts using 7 inch rear wheels with a 4 1/4 to 4 1/2 rear backspacing.
Duster/Demon have much more clearance. Cheap too.

Are the spring mount locations the same (width between them) as an A body, or did you need to move them???

Close, If I remember within 1'' total. We did use offset rear spring shackles that give you up to 3/4 inch or so to keep rear bushings from binding.From spring eye to eye the tolerance was around a inch hence the offset shackles. All of this was done 4 years ago on a duster and is working fine.It was a low buck install as the 8 1/4 was free,the shackles were about $78 bucks.Little over a $120+ bucks for driveshaft rework.When you don't have much of a budget to spend on cars you look for ways for things to work.May not be the best but it worked.

Close, If I remember within 1'' total. We did use offset rear spring shackles that give you up to 3/4 inch or so to keep rear bushings from binding.From spring eye to eye the tolerance was around a inch hence the offset shackles. All of this was done 4 years ago on a duster and is working fine.It was a low buck install as the 8 1/4 was free,the shackles were about $78 bucks.Little over a $120+ bucks for driveshaft rework.When you don't have much of a budget to spend on cars you look for ways for things to work.May not be the best but it worked.

Thanks for that complete and valuable information. I'll put it to good use, one day!

Happy holidays!!!!:cheers:

-
Back