What a way to start the day!

-

mguner

How many is too many?
Reaction score
So I decide to drive the 75 Dart to work this morning just to keep the battery charged and row through the gears.... About 2 miles away I'm going over a railroad bridge under construction on the south loop and hear a "kaching" almost like an M-1 Garand clip. About 2 seconds later the whole car shakes like a SOB! I make it down the other side of the two narrow lanes and pull over behind the cones and look under the car hoping to see some clue. Rear U-joint straps are in place and no sign of wear there so pretty sure it's the front but no way to see it the way the car sits. I decide to take a back road to see if I can limp it home and make it about half way before it comes all the way out of the front yoke and starts bouncing around the tunnel and H pipe. Another good reason to have an H pipe! The shaft was as is when I bought the car but I did "feel" the U-joints for tension etc before putting it back in after sealing the shift shafts. Apparently a C clip was barely on and a front cup exited stage right when the clip shot of. So I try to call work and let them know I'll be a little late and of course nobody answers till straight up 8. I grab the cheapo HF socket set out of the trunk and unwrap it, roll under the side of the car and proceed to pull the strap caps. I call my wife and tell her to get the chain behind her 4 wheeler and come get me I'm just past Amarillo Gear. Poor gal is brilliant with several degrees but severely directionally challenged. "Where's that?" I finally point out a few landmarks that she grasps and says, "Oh the road I take to get the dogs to the vet. She does a great job of towing me home however and after all that I'm only 30 minutes late! Happy birthday to me! :BangHead:

Dang, a eventful birthday. Happy Birthday by the way.

Sorry to hear that it failed, but glad it didn't cause a catastrophic incident! Buy a lottery ticket today!

Did you know you can substitute a 5/8 short socket for a missing cap if needed to get the car home or off the road. :D
I threw a cap once and the strap was still there and the only two tools in the truck were the 5/8 socket and a half inch wrench.
The wrench fit the strap bolts, the socket replaced the missing cap and I drove it 12 miles home.

Yeah it would have been an easier limp if it had been a rear joint!

I still think driveshaft loops are a good idea, if you ever do a " spirited driving ( not racing)....sorta like frame connectors, why not!?

ever ask a farm wife directors? for someone that is NOT native to that spot???? ha

I still think driveshaft loops are a good idea

On any car IMO. I had the front joint bust loose on a Dodge Monaco that I owned many moons ago. It was an 'uplifting' experience for sure.

Hot summer day, pavement was hot and soft, U joint broke, drive shaft hit the pavement and dug in lifting the rear of the car slap up off the road and set me sideways. I was doing about 40 to 45 when it happened.

-
Back