what about another national gas strike

-

abodyhotrod

Reaction score
lets do it, i remember it made an impact, but this time lets not buy gas for three days. i'm thinking july 4,5,6th. lets do it.come on spread the word. i will spread the word to other forums. come on mopars we can do it.

You will never get enough people to stop driving to make a difference.

That is a big lake weekend. Lots of boating and jet skiing. Not to mention all the car shows and racing. Most people are the move that weekend.

OK, if you don't buy gas for 3 days and do not drive the car, then you will be saving that amount of gas; however, if you don't buy gas for 3 days and continue driving normally during that time, then you will have to refill what you used anyway.

OPEC still controls most oil production on the planet, effectively setting a base price. Our oil companies make about 4% profit, just about in the middle range of American companies. They make about 4-8 cents profit per gallon of gas. Refineries are working at virtually 100% capacity (now, when was the last new one built? Oh, yeah, 30 years ago). Your local gas station makes a few pennies per gallon.

Here is a fact: the big rise in the cost of gasoline in the USA is because your government is 1) spending money like never before; 2) printing money like never before. We have profligate government spending and inflated money supply. Congress, President, Federal Reserve. The price for gas is not rising anywhere near as fast in Europe as it is in the USA. Your government is crashing the value of the dollar, pure and simple. Not buying gas for 1, 2, or a thousand days will have no impact on this fact.

That's the thing. I don't buy gas on most days. And unless I''m taking a road trip, I don't buy every three days. So what people would have to do is not only not buy gas on those days, but not DRIVE on those days, so the demand is actually affected.

If I drive my *** off I'll be buying gas this week. But if I don't go anywhere......

Refineries are working at virtually 100% capacity (now, when was the last new one built? Oh, yeah, 30 years ago).

Actually in April refineries were running at 85% and last month they were running at 89%. The "no new refineries in 30 years" bit is a little disingenuous. Or do you believe that the U.S. rate of consumption for gasoline has stayed stagnant for the last 30 years??? Or is it in fact the case that the existing refineries have expanded and expanded to meet demand??? I just filled up the other day and did not have to wait in a mile long line so I assume that there is enough gasoline being refined to meet the current demand so I must assume that refinery capacity in America has kept pace with the increased demand for the last 30 years.

The blame rests squarely on the shoulders of our dear government. They are systematically devaluing the dollar for various reasons and have allowed enormous loopholes to stay open in the commodity futures exchanges that allow mega investment banks to play "Las Vegas" slots with the NYMEX WTI contract prices.

I live in oil country. Most everybody around here works for the petrochemical industry in one way or another. We know the score on refineries. Our refineries are operating at 100% capacity in that every available process is functioning. At any one time, however, refinery processes must be shut down for maintenance. This means that the refinery is still producing, but one or more processes are shut down. That is the figure you are quoting. There have been three refinery explosions within the past couple of years, the worst of which was BP in Texas City. Those processes have yet to come back on line. Does anybody know what destruction to the oil business Hurricanes Katrina and Rita caused? Not only were rigs and platforms destroyed or put out of action, but many miles of underwater pipelines were damaged.

No new refineries have been built in 30 years. Some refineries added processes, thus increasing capacity, until Clinton mandated that the EPA treat any process upgrade as a completely new process, having to comply with the same EPA rules that have prevented new refineries from being built. Bush must have quietly rescinded that Executive Order to some degree because a number of plants around here are suddenly now adding capacity. It will be a year or more before we get them on line, however.

I believe the bottom dollar is that if the demand goes down it will just drive the prices up more. I read in the paper the other day where it said the demand was down but the price will continue to rise, plane and simple, they will make their profit no matter how they have to do it.

the best way to strike an oil company is to pick one.....and everyone buy from their competion... do it for three months... that puts a 25 % decline in their profits....believe me they will notice.... after the three months pick another company...and so on... it is harder that it looks though, each sells under many names,, so a little research is needed to list all the ones to strike against.

Too many people are following some of our political leaders and demonizing oil companies. Again, I reiterate, their profit margins are 4% to 8%, which is in the midrange for US companies. (The government makes about 15% true "windfall profit" on each gallon of gas sold).

READ THIS: the value of the US dollar is falling like a rock. International oil purchases are made in US dollars. Only one entity has control of the value of the dollar, and that is the US government. Because the value of the dollar is falling daily, bulk oil sellers (OPEC, etc.) are demanding more dollars. The price per barrel of crude in Euros is rising nowhere nearly as fast. They are not inflating their money supply in Europe.

right now it is wall street driving up the prices of crude ... right now they are setting the prices for next month.......and the dollar is stating to recover , it may falter but here is hopping it is on the way to recovery.
a couple things you should consider about profit...he who gets first count wins..... and a percentage of profit is after all those big bonuses ....

-
Back