What about this new Ethanol E-15?

-

jwh70valiant

Reaction score
I have been reading very negative reports about the EPA's push to standardize the use of E-15 gasoline, even though it seems to damage vehicles. I am wanting to purchase a Dart or Valiant as a daily driver in a few months, and am concerned about this Ethanol mandate. Is there an additive (like lead substitutes) that may prevent corrosion from Ethanol?

Most fuel is already 10% the E-15 is only 5% more. The newer cars are being designed to use it but for the older stuff you may want to stick with what your using.

..ethanol..alcohol from corn,lots of opinions on this stuff
i have read ethanol produces fewer btu and you will run a little leaner,to the point were you need to richen your carb up with e-15
has anyone using a wideband O2 sensor compared it to straight gas?

splash a little marvels mystery oil in the tank it helps

But it lowers the octane. I added 1 full quart to 20 gallons of 93 and it rattled when I started to get in to it with the gas. Putting around it was fine.

Yes maybe 1 full quart is too much, expect going up 5% on ethanol means 1 full gallon of the stuff in 20 gallons. How is 2--3 oz of MMO going to do much good to diluted 3 gallons of ethanol ? Sure it can't hurt unless you add too much MMO and blow a hole in a piston. But how much good will 2--3 oz do ?

E-15 is coming, its approved and the wait is for the pumps to mix the blend. Only 2001 and newer cars can use it....but watch, in 5--10 years, E-15 will be it, that and maybe E-85 or even E-25 ? South America uses 20-25% ethanol, they don't care what the EPA thinks, ha ha

Just figure someday your car will need a full newer fuel system that is ethanol approved..maybe the 2013 Darts will work OK, lol Sure won't take much of an impact to send those Darts to the junk yards.

Shell premium doesn't have any ethanol in it up here. :)

My Hemi very specifically calls for nothing more than 10% ethanol. Unless that's just BS, if only E15 becomes available at some point, I'm hoping there is an additive to offset the negative effects without adding any negative effects!

There are still some places where you can get pure gas, no ethanol. see the link for locations.
How accurate is this? Couldn't tell you.
http://www.pure-gas.org/about

I knew about the place in 'stallis, but I'm more concerned about the future. I doubt those pure-gas locations lists are going to be growing, they'll be shrinking. Then if the E10 places start disappearing in favor of E15 eventually? That's when the problems start.

I hadn't heard E15 has been approved. I'll have to look into this more. I sure hope someone stops this subsidized overpriced crap from spreading, but it's sure not looking too good.

Ethanol was to be a replacement for the much more toxic MBTE. That **** had a life that was measured in half lives. Also the additives were for areas of high populations with more pollution.

70DartSedan said:
Ethanol will eat your internals alive, when possible, go with E-0 (100% genuine refined dinosaurs), especially with older cars, not to mention that the molecules of alcohol are bigger than those of gasoline, which means less MPG.

Check this out:

http://www.historicvehicle.org/Commissions/Commissions/Legislative/Pure-Gas-Map

Where I live there has been nothing but E10 since the early 90's. It has not had any detrimental effects on any gasoline burning engine I have owned.

I am quite sure that I don't get the mileage with it or make as much power but it certainly does not eat fuel lines or cause other issues.

BTW, quite a few states don't mandate that gas stations post ethanol content so a lot of you that think you are getting straight gas may be using E10.

Thanks for all the advice! If things keep going the way they're going, it looks like I'll be forced to modify the car at some point down the road. ( Hopefully Not). I can't wait to have a Dart in a few months.

Someone had also told me that two-cycle engine oil added to the fuel tanks helps. Is this true?

The only real part of the car to be concerned with first off damage wise will be the valvetrain. If you step up on running a more modern setup this should offset most of the issues. Other things wil go wrong down the line but the upper end takes the hit first. Just think what kind of garbage has been coming out of gas pumps the last several years (you dont really want to know) and your car still runs. Make a couple of mods and just go about you business.

You wouldn't even necessarily know right away anyway. Just because everything seems fine doesn't mean there isn't damage slowly occurring.

I literally have corn fields all around me and an ethanol plant just a mile behind my house and I don't run a drop of that crap!

I just started using this after reading that it helps with some ethanol related issues. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/STABIL-Marine-Formula-Sta-Bil/dp/B003WOQ76M"]Amazon.com: Marine Formula Sta - Bil: Sports & Outdoors[/ame]

KitCarlson said:
Have you tried it in a chain saw or other 2-cycle?

Yes, I have two chain saws, a leaf blower, and a weed whacker not to mention the two stroke dirt bikes I used to race. Never a problem with E10.

72Dodge said:
You wouldn't even necessarily know right away anyway. Just because everything seems fine doesn't mean there isn't damage slowly occurring.

Well both my chain saws are over 15 years old and the leaf blower & weed whacker are close to 10 years old. Plus my brother in-law has a landscaping business and his equipment is used day in and day out on E10.

I have also put 70k miles on my 68 Barracuda since restoring it and E10 hasn't bothered it.

E10 simply isn't an issue.

Use it all or drain it out, then maybe it's hardly an issue. I wouldn't let it sit (say over the winter) in anything.

Has anyone used Lucas Safeguard Ethanol Fuel Conditioner with stabilizers ? I have a bottle I boughty just before the seasonal switchover hhere in Tucson, but haven't used it.. Ethanol will be back again in Oct. Guess I will find out then. Still use a lead additive. Occasionally.

-
Back