What aftermarket tach do you have? Any issues?

-

Budgetmoparman

Reaction score
I need a new tach for my car so I was curious what aftermarket tach everyone has in their cars and if there are any to stay away from. I currently have a Mallory 10k rpm with built in shift light and rev limiter but it is going wacko. I don't use the rev limiter because I have an MSD 6al box and use the rev limiter on that. I know there are reviews on summit and jegs but I wanted to see what issues others have had before I buy one. I am looking for a 8k rpm with shift light. Any recommendations? Thanks.

Mallory tachs ,are awful...I have have good luck with Auto Meter... Stewart Warner, was the best...

I've been using an Auto Meter tach for 15 years and haven't had any issues.

Autometer 3-3/8 Elite series, with backlighting shift light. Easy to read, and you set the backlighting color for shift warning to shift actual. So normal green backlighting, I set to turn to yellow at 6500, and red at 7000rpm. Never have to look ,just see the color change on the whole face of the gauge.

Last edited:
I'm still using the Airguide tach that the original owner installed in 1967. With a Mallory Hi-Fire box, I've had no problems at all

Sounds like I will be getting an Autometer. Thanks everyone. I am going to look into the one that FredS has with the backlight shift kit. I appreciate all of the responses.

Get a dixco hood tach and run a shift light in-cabin.

If you've got a shift light, do you really even look at the tach?

I had a small auto meter and miss it. Now I have this massive monster auto meter 5" tach.

it wasn't an auto meter is was a sunpro hahaha.

anyway I put the bracket int the vice and hammered it flat. fit perfect in the dash pad and wired it through the defrost vent.

51RPG5C58FL.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back