what alternator to use

-

Snake

Mopar Nut
Reaction score
Hey guys.I have upgraded my engine harnes from the org to electronic ingnition.I know i will need a new voltage reg and dist and controll box.Can I reuse my org alternator.Its a 69 Dart no longer points.

Square back 60 amp altenater. It will need 2 field wires. You'll need a piece of blue wire about 6 feet long. It will run along with the others and spliced into the blue wire at the top of your regulator. It will need a connector at the altenater just like the green wire has. You'll be cutting one off the other end at bottom of the regulator. Reuse it.

Ok thanks.Now if I dont want to cut wires I could get an alt from say a 74 Duster right.PS redfish did i miss your car at FABO car show did you post a pic?.

Ok thanks.Now if I dont want to cut wires I could get an alt from say a 74 Duster right.PS redfish did i miss your car at FABO car show did you post a pic?.

You can use the later altenater with the earlier type regulator by connecting the extra field terminal on the altenater to ground. Thats how your current or earlier altenator is connected. The early style regulateors are available today with solid state internals. No cut wires, no added wires.
You still wouldn't have a isolated field charging system.

I didn't know you had a new harness before. The new harness may have the connecter for the newer regulator too. So I'm out. I don't know anything about aftermarket wiring harnesses. Good luck

Snake, go to Mopar Action.com and look it up there. They have very good diagrams and instructions. Thats what I did for mine and it was very helpfull

You can use the newer style dual field alternator with that wiring harness, I think they put out 60 amps as opposed to the earlier ones at 40 something. Just hook it up as you would the old one, and the second field terminal goes to the second field post on the alt. Definetely need the newer voltage regulator and ECU, and I hope your new harness is wired with the new style regulator plug. One word of caution, as you up the amps going through the system, remember that ALL of the amperage goes through the amp guage in the dash, and they are not really made for the additional amperage, so it is considered a good idea to replace the amp guage with a volt guage. Redline Guages makes a conversion guage for this, although I have not taken my own advise yet!!! I have done the entire conversion save for this change and am praying to the Mopar Gods to spare the 66 until I get off my lazy a** and get on that job. FYI, I hear that some are running the GM alternator that puts out 78 amps to handle add-ons such as dual fuel pumps and power amps and such!!! Good luck, Geof

I was reading a 76 service manual the other day. (wierd I know !) but it shows a 69 amp alt. as the highest amp before going to the monster 100 amp one. (you need special mounts for those)

-
Back