What am I looking at?

-

Justin Looney

Reaction score
Hey all!

Sorry if I'm new to darts and classic cars in general, but I'm looking at buying a car that's listed as a 1975 Dodge Dart Demon which seems unlikely.

Can someone tell me what I'm actually looking at?

Thanks!

1975-Dodge-Dart-american-classics--Car-101032879-ae3d065373c20fa9932c775f57ec094b.jpg
1975-Dodge-Dart-american-classics--Car-101032879-fed74965998de9fb1f8662803797f4c6.jpg
1975-Dodge-Dart-american-classics--Car-101032879-80fa0872ce69437d9108d264e192a0ef.jpg
1975-Dodge-Dart-american-classics--Car-101032879-9f47934359b1a2fe22fb7b2417ae6bed.jpg
1975-Dodge-Dart-american-classics--Car-101032879-4fdf500bee51cf27b252f021f60721b6.jpg

Thanks!

Was it common for them to have a front bench seat and a manual transmission? Or was this altered as well?

Yes, bench seat is common, the 4-speed overdrive is probably factory however the hurst pistol grip shifter was added...but it’s a nice touch. Can you get a picture of the fender tag? That will tell you what the car was born with...if you have a picture we can decode it. This looks like a nice car though...

Looks like the original bench seat with a pistol grip shift handle added. The original shifter would be a round shaft.

Yes, bench seat is common, the 4-speed overdrive is probably factory however the hurst pistol grip shifter was added...but it’s a nice touch. Can you get a picture of the fender tag? That will tell you what the car was born with...if you have a picture we can decode it. This looks like a nice car though...
No luck with the fender tag. Still trying to contact the owner and there's no photos of it.

Also it's listed as a 3 speed.

It’s a Dodge Dart Sport you’re looking at. As others have said, the Demon became a Dodge Dart Sport on 1973 due to the name Demon being considered immoral/wrong.

What the seller is trying to do is get a few more bucks by stating it’s a Demon when it’s not. Demons are worth more than Dart Sports. He peeled off the Sport badge under the Dart badge and stuck on a Demon badge instead.

How much is the seller asking for it?

It’s a Dodge Dart Sport you’re looking at. As others have said, the Demon became a Dodge Dart Sport on 1973 due to the name Demon being considered immoral/wrong.

What the seller is trying to do is get a few more bucks by stating it’s a Demon when it’s not. Demons are worth more than Dart Sports.

How much is the seller asking for it?
About 17.5k

About 17.5k

That’s really steep considering it’s a ‘75, it’s a slant 6, it’s got some goofy stickers on it (Demon and Dodge stickers on the rear quarter panels) and has been repainted without the engine bay (and probably trunk and door jambs) being painted the new colour. The drivers door interior panel is in rough shape too. Makes one wonder that’s there’s other stuff that will need work too which means the price should be a lot lower.

It looks like he spent a dollar or two on the pistol grip shifter and the Hurst badge on the trunk lid!

That’s really steep considering it’s a ‘75, it’s a slant 6, it’s got some goofy stickers on it (Demon and Dodge stickers on the rear quarter panels) and has been repainted without the engine bay (and probably trunk and door jambs) being painted the new colour. The drivers door interior panel is in rough shape too. Makes one wonder that’s there’s other stuff that will need work too which means the price should be a lot lower.

It looks like he spent a dollar or two on the pistol grip shifter and the Hurst badge on the trunk lid!
I appreciate all the input. This is why I came to the experts.

The real intriguing parts for me is that it had a front bench, manual transmission, and had va plates so it's at least somewhat local for me to check out.

Too much for a dart sport with a slant six.

Even though a very nice car, someone needs to ditch the demon emblems and appreciate it for what it is.
I would agree. If someone put a V8 in a dart that was originally a slant 6, I'm ok with it, as long as they call it like it is. "Fake badges" always leaves a bad impression I think.

Way too much $$$, am curious though if it could be a Mexican model. I recently saw a 70 or 71 A body, with some interesting differences, including IIRC Super B badges, twin hood scoops with 290HP badges, a 318 4 spd o/d trans. Car was fully documented, I spoke with the owner at length, he has verified the origin as Mexican built. Interesting car.

-
Back