What am I missing?

-

74.Dodge.Dart.S

Reaction score
On my 74 dodge dart sport, its missing the screws that hold the filler tube in place to the body. Also I'm not sure if I even have the right locking gas cap on it.. it looks small because the screws show even with the gas cap on.. So here are my questions. What rubber seal goes on in between the body and the metal flange? What kind of screws do I use? And do I have the right gas cap? Any pictures of what it should look like will greatly help me out!
GetAttachmentThumbnail

GetAttachmentThumbnail

Not having my Duster in front of me...

Small head sheet metal screws will work and there is a gasket between the metal filer neck and the body. *I think* it is rubber.

Locking gas caps are small in diameter, so, yea, it shows a bit of what is normally hidden. It isn't the prettiest sight.

Not having my Duster in front of me...

Small head sheet metal screws will work and there is a gasket between the metal filer neck and the body. *I think* it is rubber.

Locking gas caps are small in diameter, so, yea, it shows a bit of what is normally hidden. It isn't the prettiest sight.
Yeah I don't like the looks of the locking gas cap because it sticks out pretty far! And now I really don't like it, knowing that its smaller than what they normally are and that they show more! Do you by chance know what that gasket would be called?

Filler neck to body gasket. You can make one out of gasket material available at any auto parts store.

Filler neck to body gasket. You can make one out of gasket material available at any auto parts store.

Yep, all it does is keep any spilled fuel out of the trunk, or water from rain or washing.

I think I'm getting a good amount of water in the trunk after the snow melts or rains!

There are a few things that can cause that besides the neck, just so you know.
If your car has the trim from a vinyl top, check the attaching points for it in the trunk as they can leak where they come through.
Of course there is the rear window seal.
Then there is also the channel under the window chrome trim that is basically a trough an inch deep that catches dirt and water and holds it there until it gets a chance to dry out.
They can rust in that channel really easy, and that leaks into the trunk.
You pretty much have to get in the trunk with a good light and check it out, and then there is always the option of getting in the trunk and closing it, then have someone spray the car while you watch for it to come in.

There are a few things that can cause that besides the neck, just so you know.
If your car has the trim from a vinyl top, check the attaching points for it in the trunk as they can leak where they come through.
Of course there is the rear window seal.
Then there is also the channel under the window chrome trim that is basically a trough an inch deep that catches dirt and water and holds it there until it gets a chance to dry out.
They can rust in that channel really easy, and that leaks into the trunk.
You pretty much have to get in the trunk with a good light and check it out, and then there is always the option of getting in the trunk and closing it, then have someone spray the car while you watch for it to come in.
Oh I didn't know about the trough under window trim. I have't had to remove it yet. Ill have to take a look at that just in case! So that's good to know! I have actually laid the seat and divider back and look for any sunlight or holes. But I might have to do it and have someone spray water like you said!

-
Back