What applications use SB 727's?

-

Cevidicus

CevidiGrinch
Reaction score
I'll be looking for a couple small block 727's in the near future and need to know which vehicles used this trans and what to look for in a salvage yard. These will be used in an A and a B body.
If I understand correctly, all 340 & 360 cars(with autos) used them, but what else?
Trucks?Vans?
What are the best years to look for?

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

A lot will depend on year and what it's going in. They made small block 727's starting in '62 all the way up to the electronic versions in the late 80's. The '62-65 versions have a bolt on flange in the rear....the later ones are slip yoke. '62-8 have a single wire neutral safety switch....the '69-up are 3 wire (the switch doesn't just swap over!) The pumps and converters changed in '68 also. Trucks and Vans have their own version called a Loadflite. Most will interchange with a car if they're the slip yoke type. There are some internal and external differences so get year/make/model off whatever donor you use so you can order the correct parts for it. There is also a number on the pan rail to verify what the trans was in originally.

Martin....I have a mid seventies rv smallblock 727. I trip over it frequently, and truth be known there is no chance of my ever using it! The rv ran when it was cut apart, but I really cant promise the condition....if you can figure out a way to make it affordable to you, getting shipped there....make me an offer! Dan

Any Mopar car or light duty 2wd truck or van (and HD trucks, vans, or RV's that used a 1 piece driveshaft) with a small block will bolt up and were all the same length but the 65 and earlier units were cable shift and the 66-67 units used a smaller converter register and different input spline count so stay away from them. You need to look for a 68 or newer trans. IMO 71-73 were the best years. Not all 360's had a 727 behind them.

If the cars your using them in have a factory floor shift make sure the extension housing has the necessary lower bolt eyelets where the shift rod bracket bolts too. Not all extension housings had the eyelets. If their column shift cars you can use any extension housing.

-
Back