What are good headers for a 1968 340?

-

67DartGT340

Reaction score
Looking in the future to possibly replace my 340 manifolds with some headers. What do you FABO maniacs consider would be a good set of headers for my 340? Or should I bother with headers? Let the wisdom fly, because I need it and thanks in advance!

Mark, I asked this very question awhile ago and the general consensus was Doug's or TTI's but as you know the draw back is the price. I went through a set of hedmans and a set of blackjacks both of which I squished going over speed bumps. I can't speak for the power increase as my car never had stock exhaust since I bought it. The TTI's are a pretty nice fit and access to plugs, starter motor etc is excellent. Are they worth it??? Hmmmm, that's arguable I suppose.

Headers will provide from 3-15 HP on a modified engine. Headers are difficult to install, produces excessive heat under the hood, and increase noise level compared to factory type exhaust manifolds. The next consideration is larger exhaust pipe if the engine produces 350 HP or more to take advantage of any preceived air flow. I have a 74 Duster with all of the advertised go fast goodies,360 Mopar crate short block, eddy heads, intake and carb. Combined with TTI exhaust system with 2.5" exhaust pipe with X-pipe. 355 gears with 8 3\4 rear end on 15" BFG rubber. A lotsa money to have the 72 Duster with 30 over 340, hughes cam, 323 gears and standard factory stuff. The 340 walks all over the 360 from an idle to top end. Decide what you have and where you want to go, a dual exhaust with 2 1\4 or 2 1\2 pipe would probably provide better performance and economy than a set of headers.

Headers will provide from 3-15 HP on a modified engine. Headers are difficult to install, produces excessive heat under the hood, and increase noise level compared to factory type exhaust manifolds. The next consideration is larger exhaust pipe if the engine produces 350 HP or more to take advantage of any preceived air flow. I have a 74 Duster with all of the advertised go fast goodies,360 Mopar crate short block, eddy heads, intake and carb. Combined with TTI exhaust system with 2.5" exhaust pipe with X-pipe. 355 gears with 8 3\4 rear end on 15" BFG rubber. A lotsa money to have the 72 Duster with 30 over 340, hughes cam, 323 gears and standard factory stuff. The 340 walks all over the 360 from an idle to top end. Decide what you have and where you want to go, a dual exhaust with 2 1\4 or 2 1\2 pipe would probably provide better performance and economy than a set of headers.

Thanks for the info, actually I have a dual exhaust with 2 1\2 pipe right now. It is a stock 340 exhaust from Year One I installed last year.

Mark, I asked this very question awhile ago and the general consensus was Doug's or TTI's but as you know the draw back is the price. I went through a set of hedmans and a set of blackjacks both of which I squished going over speed bumps. I can't speak for the power increase as my car never had stock exhaust since I bought it. The TTI's are a pretty nice fit and access to plugs, starter motor etc is excellent. Are they worth it??? Hmmmm, that's arguable I suppose.

I hear ya Bill I am curious if the HP increase is worth the trouble at all. By the way I liked the sound of your Swinger last night.

I've driven beside you on the highway a couple of times now and believe me your car is no slouch. I'm definitely no expert but I think headers would be a necessary start if you were thinking of future performance changes for your motor but alone I don't think they would be worth the money and effort. JMO.

Dougs and tti fit the best.

The rest hang low.

I run dougs on just about everything and only use tti if they come with a car.

After installing a set of Hooker Super Comp's I wish I would have went with TTI's. Because of the pipes hanging low.

I've driven beside you on the highway a couple of times now and believe me your car is no slouch. I'm definitely no expert but I think headers would be a necessary start if you were thinking of future performance changes for your motor but alone I don't think they would be worth the money and effort. JMO.

Thanks Bill, but with you making upgrades with that carb, and whatever else Rob is gonna do, I am going to have to make some adjustments to keep up with you.

For my money tti's...have/had them on 2 different dusters best headers i ever used/bought...

Ive installed a number of TTI headers on different body style, A, B abd E body, Big and Small block. They always fit well for me.

The Best header...and I mean THE BEST I've ever seen that WORKS...18hp and 20 ft lbs more than hooker Super Comps are from Headers By ED...
That's if he'll make um for ya...he'll sell you the kit...but when they come out of his jig there isn't a header out there that makes the onions that his stuff does...
yes TTI look GREAT but I can't comment on an A-B comparison as far as dyno results go...

http://www.headersbyed.com/index.htm

yep, Ed makes good stuff and they actually work...bigger in NOT always better..
most folks now aren't interested in a set of headers that work, they just want them to say i got headers and everybody knows how much they spent....
yes there is a down side....Ed's headers hang down more that the average guy
can handle...lower than anybodys..BUT THEY WORK!!!
I put a set on in 1974 and it took longer to remove the stock manifolds and cut the
pipes than to actually install the headers.Three piece on the left, 2 piece on the right..
no leaks ever..
problem is now.....you can't afford them if he was to make them..the folks that
complain about 5-6-700 would have a heart attack....but remember...they really work..
Ever seen a set???......

I'll see if I can dig up some old pictures because we use to put them on everything 20 years ago.Once everyone started to change cyl heads B1's..Indy..w2's I would just make them from kits...
I don't remember any type of ground clearance issues with any of Ed's headers A-B or E bodies but I'm sure the 15 inch rims and tall tires we ran made up for any problems...
I had them on my Red Swinger it's not a real good pic but you can't see any header tubes hanging low.
And Gord's Charger had them and you can see any tubes either...Then again they are not good pictures but you can kinda get the idea.
I'll look for some engine shots...

searsdart2.jpg

gords.jpg

Since mid 05 and almost 40K miles I have been running a set of $150 Hedmans. Can't compare them to anything else performance wise but; They fit well, have been leak free and the fact the three of the tubes on the drivers side wrap under the center link is just a non issue. I can't imagine hitting anything hard enough to get the to bottom out on the road. They don't capture the starter (full size or mini) either.

Wow those are some beautiful cars Rob! Do you miss that Swinger?

That Swinger was a REALLY nice car it had 50000 miles on it when I bought it. When I restored it I did everything to it because you could still buy anything for it from the dealer.All the trim was bought new...all the glass was bought new...It was like it just rolled off the showroom...I had the very first NOS 250 hp plate system in town.Bought that at the very first Car Craft nats and put it on that car...The stories I could tell about that car could fill a book.
I sold the car because I just had too many cars and a friend wanted it BAD so I sold it...I don't miss it but I think I would buy it back if I had the chance.It's been a long time since I've owned an A body.

That Swinger was a REALLY nice car it had 50000 miles on it when I bought it. When I restored it I did everything to it because you could still buy anything for it from the dealer.All the trim was bought new...all the glass was bought new...It was like it just rolled off the showroom...I had the very first NOS 250 hp plate system in town.Bought that at the very first Car Craft nats and put it on that car...The stories I could tell about that car could fill a book.
I sold the car because I just had too many cars and a friend wanted it BAD so I sold it...I don't miss it but I think I would buy it back if I had the chance.It's been a long time since I've owned an A body.

Wow Rob I would like to sit with you one day and hear about these cool Mopar stories. You were there in the middle of the street racing craze of the late 70's and early 80's, I was too young by a few years. My Dad shares stories with me, but you seem to have many more.

Oh the stories I could tell...to tell them on the board everyone would say BS.
When we put in Vic's engine I'll gather up all perpetrators in the garage that day...Back in the late 70's that's all we did...was street race...but remember there was NO Traffic in Winnipeg after 9:00 pm back then.

This Ugly Charger went 114 mph in the 1/4 in 1978...the fun we had racing on Snow tires**rubber was softer than a Goodyear slick**

chrgdart.jpg

gord440.jpg

-
Back