What are the rest of the late model (73 & Up) folks doing for radiators?

-

shanker

Reaction score
I've got a 75 Duster 360 that the OE radiator is looking like it's about ready to give up the ghost. I'd live to put a radiator such as this one sold by autocity1958 on ebay ( 1966-1972 Mopar B & E Body Aluminum 26" Radiator Road Runner Challenger Cuda | eBay ) But these cars came with these thin radiators.

I purchased a Cold Case radiator for my 70 R/T last year and that experience has left me not exactly thrilled about going that route.

I'm not willing to give up my fan shroud or go to electric fans, I just want a radiator that fits, and will give me a bit more cooling efficiency if possible. Even with this thin OE radiator, my fan clutch is less than a fingers width from the radiator. The current one on hot/humid Texas days, gives me a 30-35* drop across it at most and struggles to do it.

09_22_21_Radiator.jpg

Check out Griffin, they may have what you need. The radiator that I am using is supposedly for a later model corvette.
I planned out my plumbing with coat hangers and I will see if I got any pictures of the installation. I think I posted it up a few years back in the what are you doing to your car thread. 2017 or 2018 is my guess.

If you are doing your own plumbing, when you are able, do two 45* bends rather than one 90* bend for better flow.

Edit;
I think this what I used

1968 PLYMOUTH BARRACUDA Radiators - Griffin radiator KEYWORD Parts & Accessories | Summit Racing

Last edited:
I put a no name aluminum radiator for an imperial in my 70. I had to use oddball hoses . it was cheap and huge so I think it was worth it.

Does the 73-76 take a different radiator? News to me...

I've got a 75 Duster 360 that the OE radiator is looking like it's about ready to give up the ghost. I'd live to put a radiator such as this one sold by autocity1958 on ebay ( 1966-1972 Mopar B & E Body Aluminum 26" Radiator Road Runner Challenger Cuda | eBay ) But these cars came with these thin radiators.

I purchased a Cold Case radiator for my 70 R/T last year and that experience has left me not exactly thrilled about going that route.

I'm not willing to give up my fan shroud or go to electric fans, I just want a radiator that fits, and will give me a bit more cooling efficiency if possible. Even with this thin OE radiator, my fan clutch is less than a fingers width from the radiator. The current one on hot/humid Texas days, gives me a 30-35* drop across it at most and struggles to do it.

View attachment 1715794696

Here's a good place to look for a factory appearing replacement.

products-036522.jpg

Providing Cooling Confidence For Over 50 Years!
CALL US TODAY 323-826-0965
headerlogo.png

Search

Does the 73-76 take a different radiator? News to me...

I'm not sure what's different, but the late model ones like the 75 I posted a picture above, have 2 core radiators that are half the thickness of the earlier ones, but the fan clutch is still almost touching the radiator...something is different, I'm not sure what.

I'm not sure what's different, but the late model ones like the 75 I posted a picture above, have 2 core radiators that are half the thickness of the earlier ones, but the fan clutch is still almost touching the radiator...something is different, I'm not sure what.

I run a Be Cool in mine.

I was just curious in regards to fitment if 73 - 76 was different.

View attachment 1715794696

I would strongly suggest giving Bob and Glen Ray Radiators a call. I purchased a used 75 Dart Rad, sent it to him for rebuilding and my car is running the coolest its ever run.

Glen-ray Radiators - All New Licensed Mopar Chrysler Dodge Plymouth Radiators

They went to 26" wide radiators then instead of 22". Just have yours fixed, Bob and Glen-Ray will tell you NOT to put an aluminum radiator in it, the one you have is fine, just get it rodded out or recored...

What's the issue with aluminum radiators?
When I had to replace the one in my 78 Fury, I got a champion radiator, bolted right in and shroud did too. All else I could find at local outlets was a Toyota ish looking piece of crap with plastic tanks and I sure wasn't going there.

What's the issue with aluminum radiators?
When I had to replace the one in my 78 Fury, I got a champion radiator, bolted right in and shroud did too. All else I could find at local outlets was a Toyota ish looking piece of crap with plastic tanks and I sure wasn't going there.

No issue with aluminum, just with Cold Case (they keep bragging about drop-in ready, no modification etc...) that wasn't my case with my 70 Coronet R/T. It's the only purchase for that car that I regret.

I may pull it out and mock it up in the duster, if it fits, I'll buy the radiator for my R/T that I linked too in the first post.

You will have few to no problems if you go with a HP cooling STOCK copper brass radiator.

By the way of you locate a real radiator shop near you your radiator can be recored.

You might even find that your rad just needs to be disassembled, cleaned, and reassembled.

Also if you are having fit issues you might not have the correct parts in there...

Fan, thermo clutch, shroud, radiator.

Check the part numbers.

Lastly there is more to a cooling system than the radiator, your waterpump might be failing or wrong for the application, your thermostat might be failing, your pulleys might not be correct.

If you cant find a local rad shop I would call us radiator and talk to them.

Just to clarify, I'm not having cooling issues with this car. It has a 180* high flow Thermostat that I installed when I put the intake on last year. I'm just looking forward knowing that upon visual inspection of the radiator, coupled with it's age, It's probably not going to be long before it fails.

The A/C isn't working (needs a new condenser) but I'm moving forward knowing I'm going to get it working.

-
Back