What Are These Knives For?

-

mopowers

Reaction score
I was cleaning out a drawer in an old tool box that belonged to my uncle and am trying to figure what these tools are for. At one point, my uncle worked at an upholstery shop so I'm thinking they may be some type of leather/upholstery knives?

They appear to be various shaped knives made by "Hyde." They may have even been modified somewhat. The brush has regular short bristles on one side and short wire bristles - almost like a dog hair brush - on the other side. What are these for???

upload_2022-2-6_14-13-11.png

I was cleaning out a drawer in an old tool box that belonged to my uncle and am trying to figure what these tools are for. At one point, my uncle worked at an upholstery shop so I'm thinking they may be some type of leather/upholstery knives?

They appear to be various shaped knives made by "Hyde." They may have even been modified somewhat. The brush has regular short bristles on one side and short wire bristles - almost like a dog hair brush - on the other side. What are these for???

View attachment 1715865479
The brush is called a File Card and it is for cleaning the teeth on metal files.

Thanks for posting as I have one just like it made by Johns-Manville. Now I know what it was made to cut not just what I use it for like scraping moss and cutting Styrofoam.

As a Carpenter, that spent a Decade in Drywall, Before the Brother from South of the Border came on Strong, Hyde was Known for Drywall, Putty, 5n1s, Scrapers ect

We had those Hyde knives with the wooded handle in the power house, every mechanic had one in his box
They were general utility knives used for just about anything

-
Back