What are these Mufflers and Headers?

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
Cheers: Does anyone know what Mufflers and Headers these are? They are in pretty bad shape but don't leak. I'm trying to decide whether to change them out or not. Thanks

DSC00651_zpsb750b716.jpg

DSC00650_zpsfdf7a1e3.jpg

DSC00647_zps752b4e4a.jpg

DSC00641_zpsd3a2a00b.jpg

cheap headers and cheaper glass packs. The headers are the same design most companies use on there cheaper street headers.

Yep, the famous ill designed and often poorly constructed with no QC check almost never being made, the old 1 size fits all basic street header.

The glass packs can vary ever so slightly on the inside. There lengths can change. For the most part, there good for fishing weights.

A good muffler will make more and useable power over glass packs.
The headers are fine minus the scraped and flattened pipes, which all ways happen with this style header.

Any header other than this design is expensive and worth it.
For a street bound A body car, look to Doug's or tti headers.

Yep, the famous ill designed and often poorly constructed with no QC check almost never being made, the old 1 size fits all basic street header.

The glass packs can vary ever so slightly on the inside. There lengths can change. For the most part, there good for fishing weights.

A good muffler will make more and useable power over glass packs.
The headers are fine minus the scraped and flattened pipes, which all ways happen with this style header.

Any header other than this design is expensive and worth it.
For a street bound A body car, look to Doug's or tti headers.
Thanks for the help ID'ing them. Lol, The funny thing is that this stuff is like 10 years old but only a few 1000 miles and is still pretty solid. I thought the headers might be Cheap Hooker's. Strangely enough, I get compliments on the sound. To me they sound like the factory exhaust on my brothers old AMX.
I will start to get a budget going for a nice Header and Exhaust upgrade. The wife's already on board because she says it's TOO LOUD.:cwm21:
Thanks again Guys. I should have known it was Cheap Chit based on who I got the Car from.

Putting an expensive header on that car will make absolutely NO difference in the way it runs whatsoever. Only thing you'll notice is a lightened wallet.
I would fix/replace that crushed tube, and get rid of those cherry bomb mufflers. Replace them with a set of turbo style mufflers, you'll like the sound (and so will the ol lady) and it won't be annoying. I would run the pipes out under the bumper if they aren't already.

My 2 cents.

George

Putting an expensive header on that car will make absolutely NO difference in the way it runs whatsoever. Only thing you'll notice is a lightened wallet.
I would fix/replace that crushed tube, and get rid of those cherry bomb mufflers. Replace them with a set of turbo style mufflers, you'll like the sound (and so will the ol lady) and it won't be annoying. I would run the pipes out under the bumper if they aren't already.

My 2 cents.

George

Thanks George,
Would I have to Weld in a new tube to fix the crushed one? I have 2 good muffler shops right here in town. Do you have a ball park $$ that I should plan to pay them to fix the header.(The Passenger side is fine and sits a couple inches higher than the drivers side. The car is pretty fast but I just cruise it a low speeds and don't care about a few Hp. BUT....If turbo mufflers will add Hp, That's a nice bonus. I definitely want to run it out the back and put on nicer chrome tips.

Thanks for the reply and a little more advice on getting rid of the Flat spots on the header Tube

Gerry

heres my cheapy headers after 2 years of daily driving. maybe you should lift the front up some. a new pair of shocks might help. i bought a couple of thrush welded mufflers for 60 bucks to my door and they sound great. the hedman, hookers and summit long tubes are all basically the same header.

Attachments

• header clearance1.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 291
  • heeder.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 285
I agree with George. TTIs or Dougs may fit better and look nicer but I dont think you will see a difference in power to make the swap worth it.

heres my cheapy headers after 2 years of daily driving. maybe you should lift the front up some. a new pair of shocks might help. i bought a couple of thrush welded mufflers for 60 bucks to my door and they sound great. the hedman, hookers and summit long tubes are all basically the same header.
When I first got my car the front was lowered down so I raised it back up. All the damage to the Headers was there. They hit 3 or 4 times just getting out of the P.O.'s driveway but I was going extremely slow. He was using them as Skid Plates Lol. There's about 5" of clearance now. I don't like the out the side look so I'll put my $$ into the Mufflers/Pipes to bring it out the Back and try to fix the dented/Pancaked tube.:D

When I first got my car the front was lowered down so I raised it back up. All the damage to the Headers was there. They hit 3 or 4 times just getting out of the P.O.'s driveway but I was going extremely slow. He was using them as Skid Plates Lol. There's about 5" of clearance now. I don't like the out the side look so I'll put my $$ into the Mufflers/Pipes to bring it out the Back and try to fix the dented/Pancaked tube.:D

i must say your skid plate is about the worst ive ever seen LOL . i think you and the wife will like the sound of it all the way out the back with some welded mufflers instead of the glass packs.

i must say your skid plate is about the worst ive ever seen LOL . i think you and the wife will like the sound of it all the way out the back with some welded mufflers instead of the glass packs.
Lol, I hear ya. That's why I was trying to see if they were real cheap headers or something good. I will go on Monday to this Custom Muffler shop down the road from me. I probably will post back here as to what he quotes me before getting anything done. Unless you think I'd be better off ordering the stuff to do it myself. I once had a beautiful Stainless system custom bent for My 72 'Cuda for Like $750 in the late '80's. It was a work of art.

i do all my own exhaust with my welder. i dont have a bender so mine stops just before the axle on my duster. i use 12" of 2 1/2 off the collector into my thrush mufflers and the another 12" out of the back of them and it sounds great.

Get it out the back, it will sound a lot nicer. Can't stand the way cars sound with no tail pipes.

Yeah, you'd probably have to cut the old one off, make a new one (try to change the bend if possible to increase ground clearance if necessary) then weld it back in. If you don't have the tools to do this yourself, it'll probably be best to just replace the headers with another inexpensive set because the labor for that repair is going to me about the cost of a new set of Blackjacks or similar.
Turbo mufflers don't necessarily ADD horse power, but replacing those cherry bombs will probably increase your torque output especially down low.
Good Luck buddy!!

Geoirge

Thanks George,
Would I have to Weld in a new tube to fix the crushed one? I have 2 good muffler shops right here in town. Do you have a ball park $$ that I should plan to pay them to fix the header.(The Passenger side is fine and sits a couple inches higher than the drivers side. The car is pretty fast but I just cruise it a low speeds and don't care about a few Hp. BUT....If turbo mufflers will add Hp, That's a nice bonus. I definitely want to run it out the back and put on nicer chrome tips.

Thanks for the reply and a little more advice on getting rid of the Flat spots on the header Tube

Gerry

Thanks for the help ID'ing them. Lol, The funny thing is that this stuff is like 10 years old but only a few 1000 miles and is still pretty solid. I thought the headers might be Cheap Hooker's. Strangely enough, I get compliments on the sound. To me they sound like the factory exhaust on my brothers old AMX.
I will start to get a budget going for a nice Header and Exhaust upgrade. The wife's already on board because she says it's TOO LOUD.:cwm21:
Thanks again Guys. I should have known it was Cheap Chit based on who I got the Car from.

Giggity

The hard part about those headers is getting them in there in the first place. he hard part is done so why change them now?

Yeah, you'd probably have to cut the old one off, make a new one (try to change the bend if possible to increase ground clearance if necessary) then weld it back in. If you don't have the tools to do this yourself, it'll probably be best to just replace the headers with another inexpensive set because the labor for that repair is going to me about the cost of a new set of Blackjacks or similar.
Turbo mufflers don't necessarily ADD horse power, but replacing those cherry bombs will probably increase your torque output especially down low.
Good Luck buddy!!

Geoirge
Thanks again George, I guess There'd be a lot of work involved swapping in a cheap set oh headers. But...I have plenty of time to do it. Is there a Cheap header that fits in without all the extra work? I could cut the old header out pretty easily. I would love some extra low end torque.

The hard part about those headers is getting them in there in the first place. he hard part is done so why change them now?
The deciding factor would be how much work is involved and how much $$ to have a piece of tube welded in.

Does everyone agree the Dynomax super Turbo is a good low budget choice??
I appreciate all the great feedback!:icon_smi:

Thanks,
Gerry

Its not really that hard to get those headers in and out. You just need to pull some of the uspension out of the way, drop the T-bars and pull the column. Whats that take ? 20-30 minutes ? I even pull the t bars when I do TTIs just to the extra room.

-
Back