what are these things? and can i lose them?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
What is this round canister thing attached to the coil. What is it called, what does it do, and do i really need it? It sure is ugly.

original-mopar-coil-with-bracket-%26-cond-small-block-%3E_260622915824.jpg

Also there is a box that has electrical wires that ran to the stock choke. I have an aftermarket 4 barrel with an electrical choke and have had it hooked to this box thing and it works fine but, it sure is friggen ugly. once again what is it called? what does it do? and do i need it? hooking to eddy 4 barrel electric choke.

photo-21-e1331496133271.jpg

Also is there anything else I could get rid of in the engine bay?

Its a condenser for noise suppression. Don't know for sure what the other thing is but I would say it's some kind of resistor. Don't think you need either.

It will run with out it but may have quite a bit of noise on radio

Those supression capacitors are meant to keep a pop noise out of the radio speakers. There's one on the back of your instrument panel too.
The original choke sat in a well to get its heat. Because they were slow to operate the factory added a electric choke assist ( heater ) in the well with it. That white ceramic box is a timer and power supply for the heater. Most of those are toast on the inside today.

awesome.

Do you think if i ditch the noise suppressor that one day, when i do get a radio in there I can just run an inline noise suppressor under the dash and be good?

awesome.

Do you think if i ditch the noise suppressor that one day, when i do get a radio in there I can just run an inline noise suppressor under the dash and be good?

yes sir

-
Back