what are these?

-

73dartneedswork

Reaction score
I pulled my valve cover to check the casting # of the heads I have on my engine. I found the pieces below lying in the head. What are they from? The car does smoke at start up from this side of the motor.
Thanks,
Kris

Attachments

• 140_0496.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 328
could be hardened pieces of old valve cover gasket. Lawrence

That looks like a cheapo valve seal was put in and it broke. Time to put a new set in. and dont cheap out on it.:toothy10:

SKITTLES no deff valve seals seen them quite a lot on thy ole 318's

Dont want to pee in your cheerios but I wonder how many of those dried up valve seal pieces are stuck in the oil pump pickup screen?

I know a guy who has a 78 Mustang II with a 302 that had to have a rebuild (well over 20 years ago) because the pickup screen was completely blocked with that stuff.

Well, despite some peoples advice I decided to reinstall new valve seals and not go through the motor. At first I tried to replace the valves with the heads on the motor. I rented a valve spring compressor and an adapter to fill the cylinder with air. The air cylinder adapter leaked real bad and I couldn’t keep enough air in the cylinder to keep the valve up when I tried to compress the sping. I decided to just pull the heads. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to a four barrel carb and I picked up a Performer intake manifold at Pick and Pull a couple of weeks back.
I pulled the drivers side head first and everything looked good (well at least to me, I really don’t know much about cars). When I pulled the passenger side I realized that I’m screwed. The number 4 cylinder is missing a portion of the piston.
I haven’t had the car very long. It did smoke, but not on the side where the bad piston is. I had done a compression check and that cylinder was lower than the rest. Most were in the 145 range and #4 was around 120-125.
Well anyways now I got to figure out what to do next.

Attachments

• 140_0500.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 132
Well, despite some peoples advice I decided to reinstall new valve seals and not go through the motor. At first I tried to replace the valves with the heads on the motor. I rented a valve spring compressor and an adapter to fill the cylinder with air. The air cylinder adapter leaked real bad and I couldn’t keep enough air in the cylinder to keep the valve up when I tried to compress the sping. I decided to just pull the heads. I’ve been wanting to upgrade to a four barrel carb and I picked up a Performer intake manifold at Pick and Pull a couple of weeks back.
I pulled the drivers side head first and everything looked good (well at least to me, I really don’t know much about cars). When I pulled the passenger side I realized that I’m screwed. The number 4 cylinder is missing a portion of the piston.
I haven’t had the car very long. It did smoke, but not on the side where the bad piston is. I had done a compression check and that cylinder was lower than the rest. Most were in the 145 range and #4 was around 120-125.
Well anyways now I got to figure out what to do next.

should of drained the coolant out of the head... I would just tear it down and rebuild (if it is in your budget) it will save you heartache, time and usually money in the long run. If it is missing part of the piston, something major could happen soon and make things worse.

Good Luck.
Brian

-
Back